Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

kylexgore

I was wondering if someone could tell me if the 40% off coupon is good towards purchasing model paints and kits? For the first time I decided to use the coupon and I was told by a female cashier that I couldn't use my coupon to purchase paints or kits. No where on the coupon did it say anything about not being able to purchase paints or kits. I also realize that the coupon is for a single item and was valid until Oct. 12, 2013.

Nothing was marked down. Everything was priced the same as it usually is when I go in there.

Then the cashier was flat out wrong. The coupon is good on any item that's not already on sale, including paints or kits. I suggest you talk to the store manager.

You need to talk to the manager! Never heard of any limit to what the coupon could be used for! Even if the item is marked down, they can charge you the regular price and then use the coupon to mark it down if it is a better bargain! They did it for me at the store I frequent!

don't place all the blame on the cashier. seems like management did NOT do enough training on coupons for that person. besides, being diplomatic helps to reinforce that you ARE in the right and not simply whining over a few bucks (which is, unfortunately, how many people see us when we're faced with kits over 30bucks and bottles of paint around 3...).

however, once the manager realizes you COULD simply leave without buying ANYTHING because of a cashier's attitude.... well; you get the picture. three times in as many months I've scanned the shelves at HobbyTown and left emptyhanded.....

You need to talk to the manager! Never heard of any limit to what the coupon could be used for! Even if the item is marked down, they can charge you the regular price and then use the coupon to mark it down if it is a better bargain! They did it for me at the store I frequent!

Good point. I've had them charge regular price and use the coupon instead of the 20 or 25% off offered on mark-down. Done it in several stores with only one cashier questioning, but she was new and had no problem checking with the manager. Immediately straightened that out.

One point, though - coupon isn't good for everything. There are a few exclusions listed on the coupon, but probably nothing that would affect most model-related purposes.

One point, though - coupon isn't good for everything. There are a few exclusions listed on the coupon, but probably nothing that would affect most model-related purposes.

Yes, there are a few things not eligible, like class fees. But model kits and model-related supplies are definitely eligible for the discount.

I was wondering if someone could tell me if the 40% off coupon is good towards purchasing model paints and kits? For the first time I decided to use the coupon and I was told by a female cashier that I couldn't use my coupon to purchase paints or kits. No where on the coupon did it say anything about not being able to purchase paints or kits. I also realize that the coupon is for a single item and was valid until Oct. 12, 2013.

Im pretty sure this wouldn't be a mangerial level problem as possibly suggested. I would imagine that Hobby Lobby isn't growing in leaps and bounds based upon poor management. If properly addressed to a manager, I am sure he would promptly educate the cashier. Besides their may have been some kits and supplies that were on sale the previous week. If she was new, she might have not been familiar with the sale periods and thought they were all still on sale.

Edited by Skydime

i would ask for the cashier to scan the coupon. wouldn't the automatic stuff indicate whether the coupon was valid or not?

local HL always has a cluster at the check out lines. the cashiers seem to be paid to ring, period. basically anything but that requires calling the straw boss to get "authorization".

I don't have a Hobby Lobby near me but I use the Michaels 40 and 50% coupons all the time. Anytime I'm going near there, I print one out and take it with me. I always check the model aisle first, but seldom find anything I want at even that discount. So once that's done, I'll use the coupon to buy paint or glue. They only have Testors so I'll buy flat black or my favorite color, Dullcote. They also sell Zap-A-Gap so I always grab an extra. I've never been questioned.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Shockingly, I just found out there is going to be a Hobby Lobby built about 30 minutes from me. That explains Magic Mart dropping it's price on model kits. Looks like I am going to have to educate a few new cashiers on coupons myself. :lol: Kinda bummed in a way though cause I always enjoyed taking short road trips to go to the others

Edited by Skydime

I don't think the coupon is accepted for something that is special ordered. Just an FYI. Be sure to check out the clearance sections of your store. Not just the middle of the aisle islands, but the actual full aisle of clearance items. The store near me has 1 aisle of clearance with models included in the assortment and another clearance section in one of the corners of the store where I find the model paints on clearance.

• 2 weeks later...

I DON'T buy ANY kits anymore WITHOUT a coupon, I WILL NOT pay 25 bucks for a kit. I've never had a problem there, other than them bein EXTREMELY low on stock. Micheals accepts JoAnne's Fabrics coupons at face value, so I use them too. Been doin it for so long I refuse to part the prices that the companys want. If I can't get it at a reasonable price, I won't. Haven't picked up the Mobius Tractor trucks because of the price!