Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Duece of another suit

Shardik

I was getting a little frustrated with my '39 Chevy, so I decided to throw together a "quick build" to regain my perspective. I've had this 1:32 scale Pyro '32 Chevy cabriolette in the stash for a while and I figured it would be just the thing to relieve some stress: Low parts count, small scale, and a kit for which I didn't have high expectations in the first place; I was under the impression that the early Pyro kits were less than stellar.

Well, we all know what Robert Burns had to say about the best laid plans of mice and men....

Actually, it did serve its purpose. I now have a finished model to look at instead of a mountain of parts, materials and sketches. But seeing the result of "throwing it together", I now wish I had spent more time to bring out the kits potential. Other than having a few parts missing (horns, landau irons, windshield and head light lenses), it's not a bad little kit.

By the way, I'll be coming back to this one when I'm done with the '39 to fix the mess I made trying to touch up the steering wheel after I had installed it. Also, the headlights look funny because they're filled with Micro chrystal clear which hasn't fully cured yet.

IMG_2683_zps2e186c1f.jpg

IMG_2684_zpsfb42a75b.jpg

IMG_2686_zps1bd8f2a5.jpg

IMG_2689_zpsef188030.jpg

Thanks for looking in, and as allways, please feel free to share your thoughts.

So Pyro kits can look good afterall.

I would have never guessed it was a Pyro kit . . . it looks really good ! :D

Noone was more surprised than I. I can't recall having ever read anything complimentary about pyro kits. I would never have bought one deliberately, but this one was included in a lot of damged kits that I bought on e-Bay. But this one has good proportions, passable detail for whats there (other than the molded in cowl lights and door handles) and it went together without any problems. Go figure :huh:

Great looking model Johann. I love the color.

Thanks, Richard. The paint was the remnants of a can of Tamiya aircraft paint which I have already disposed of, so I cant tell you the color number.

It's small, but it's SHINY :) :) :)

The paint I used was actually semi-gloss but it only took a few minutes with Novus #2 to shine it up (not much surface to polish :D )

I think it looks very nice. A sharp little model. You might want to try adding door handles. They could easily be made with small diameter solder or aluminum wire.

Thanks, Harry. Yeah, there's the door handles, cowl lights, side mirror, fitting the top better.... and about half a dozen other things I'll probably end up doing. I should know better than to try doing a "quick build" by now :lol:

Built many of these old Pyro and Lindberg 1/32 scales as a kid. They were cheap and quick. This one has to be the best I've ever seen one built. Looks good. Nice color too.

And I really didn't do anything special to it other than some BMF and Alclad. I'm starting to think that Pyro has gotten a bad rap. The parts fit well and were well molded with minimal flash. Yes, it's highly simplified but that's how you get "cheap and quick".

I might actually look for some more of these.

Edited by Shardik

Looks great to me, especially considering the small scale and the manufacturer. Very attractive colors too, just right for the body style.

Thanks, Bill. I got lucky with the colors. The small size made it the perfect target for my left-overs.

I learned a little something from this build: I get better results if I dial down the intensity and just relax. (Not as easy as it sounds ;) )

I really admire your builds, so I sincerely appreciate your input - Not a sycophant, I just know good craftsmanship when I see it.