Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Yamaha Hawaiian Charger Fc

AZ Boy

Hi all. Got this one done a week ago. Saw this version of the Hawaiian at U.S.30 Dragstrip in Indiana as a kid. Enjoy

th_Hawaiian04.jpg

th_Hawaiian03.jpg

th_Hawaiian02.jpg

th_100_1500a.jpg

Aaron,

I take it you got your clearcoat problem taken care of! At least it doesn't show in these photos.

Thanks again, to you and all the others for a TERRIFIC 1st AZ NNL. It was a good show, good quality, too.

TimP

Thanks guys...

Tim - The clearcoat was still somewhat of a problem over the white, but after taking your suggestion about dry sanding, it was much better than it was at the NNL. A decent shelf model, but not much for competing at shows.

Aaron

Thanks guys...

Tim - The clearcoat was still somewhat of a problem over the white, but after taking your suggestion about dry sanding, it was much better than it was at the NNL. A decent shelf model, but not much for competing at shows.

Aaron

Hey, I still think it looks great for what you did and the goals ya had in mind when you built this! Not too shabby at all.

TimP

Mike,

The chassis is straight from the Revell kit. I only had these two photos to go from. The body-up shot is the only one I've ever seen of this car's chassis. The burnout shot is more accurate for the look I was going for. This is the version of the Hawaiian I saw as a kid (carbon-dating myself here!). I did some small alterations to the chassis to achieve the look from the photo.

Thanks again for the kind comments everyone.

Aaron

hawaiianburnout70indy2.jpg

Roland_20Leong_201972.jpg

Hey Aaron- do you remember if 240 Gordie Bonin drove this car, or was it another shoe?? I happen to know Gordie very well!! He was the insperation behind the recent return of his "bubble-up" pacemaker firebird F/C that Ron Hodgson owns and Terry Capps drives. And another question, where on earth did you get the decals to do that car, are they Slixx?? BTW- FAN-FREAKIN-TABULOLUS build!!!! your model is the reason why i love vintage drag racing so much!!!!

Muchos thanks, Guys!

Keith - It's 1/25th scale. I'd love to get my hands on the 1/16th Hawaiian. I know they're on ebay, but I've had too many bad experiences with that.

Chris - This version has Bobby Rowe driving. He followed Butch Maas who drove the original 71 'Mini' Charger (and won the 71 Winternationals). The decals are from Slixx. They allow you to choose between the Butch Maas and Bobby Rowe version. Just be careful using Tamiya clear over the white decals. I would love to make the Bubble-Up Firebird. Some day.......

John - Dude!...We talked at the NNL!!! :lol: I was at the registration desk. I brought this car along with my Mr.Norm's Challenger and the Pisano & Matsubara Vega.

Aaron