Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilt Car Hauler Almost Done 10/13/2013

I've got another one on the bench.....I can't decide what my next model will be, so I just went on and got to building one of these things....I have the Revell car hauler, but I don't want to build it, if I don't have to....Just winging it, though....Got a picture of one I saw at Walmart, but it's just for reference.....I'm just using what I have on hand....

037a_zps5dd2f89a.jpg

036a_zpsc09d02f4.jpg

030a_zpsa88f1a10.jpg

023a_zpsa1d16e1b.jpg

016a_zpsb886561c.jpg

014a_zps171d00c6.jpg

013a_zps5835a34f.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

JT I will be following you on this one to see where you take it. It's already off to a good start. Will you also be adding ramps on the cab that will tow it.

You know, Man....I don't know, yet....I haven't decided what rig I'm gonna use, yet.....But, now I have something else to think about.....Hmmmmm... :huh::)

JT I will be following you on this one to see where you take it. It's already off to a good start. Will you also be adding ramps on the cab that will tow it.

You know, Man....I don't know, yet....I haven't decided what rig I'm gonna use, yet.....But, now I have something else to think about.....Hmmmmm... :huh::)

Nice start, JT, but let me help in your decision on ramps, NO!! I just happened to see one of these exact style haulers on the big road the other day and it is just like the Revell hauler, it's meant to be just a normal trailer.

I have to say, compared to the designs like the Revell hauler where there can at least be a nose of a car on the fifth wheel plate on the lower deck, this one doesn't seem to have been as well thought out. That's why I remember seeing one just like this one the other day, because when I seen it pass me, the first thing that went through my mind was "That seems like a lot of wasted space on the lower deck"! If I do remember correctly though, JT, with a small extension ramp on the top ramps, I think the one I seen had five cars on the top and three on the lower deck.

Nice start, JT, but let me help in your decision on ramps, NO!! I just happened to see one of these exact style haulers on the big road the other day and it is just like the Revell hauler, it's meant to be just a normal trailer.

I have to say, compared to the designs like the Revell hauler where there can at least be a nose of a car on the fifth wheel plate on the lower deck, this one doesn't seem to have been as well thought out. That's why I remember seeing one just like this one the other day, because when I seen it pass me, the first thing that went through my mind was "That seems like a lot of wasted space on the lower deck"! If I do remember correctly though, JT, with a small extension ramp on the top ramps, I think the one I seen had five cars on the top and three on the lower deck.

Actually, with most designs, cost is the determining factor.....I believe this type of trailer is just cheap and easy to load....Here's a pic of the one I saw at Walmart....And, I am, probably going to heed your advice on the tractor.....Especially as with this design, I can use any rig I want....Thanks, Buddy....

001a_zpsdaad9f2b.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Actually, with most designs, cost is the determining factor.....I believe this type of trailer is just cheap and easy to load....Here's a pic of the one I saw at Walmart....And, I am, probably going to heed your advice on the tractor.....Especially as with this design, I can use any rig I want....Thanks, Buddy....

001a_zpsdaad9f2b.jpg

I never thought of it that way JT, and with the lack of all the extra hydraulics, easier to maintain too. I guess in the long run, the wasted space wouldn't be much of a big deal when you take the cost to maintain all the moving parts like on the Revell carrier. That is very similar to the one I seen on the road, too. Maybe I seen it on it's way from Walmart! :lol: