Model Cars Magazine Forum

More Paint questions(Tamiya Acrylic or Enamel, 10ml or 23ml)

I've got a few Big T kits in the pipeline and I'm preparing the paint stash before starting. As I'm looking for the best price online I've come across a few questions....

1.) Enamel or acrylic? I know this is based on several factors so here's what's at play for me: The only acrylic I've used so far is Tamiya X18 Semi Gloss Black and I hate the way it goes on with a paint brush. Testors enamels have been my go to, but I'd rather just follow the instructions instead of trying to match paint colors across brands so I'd like to stock up on Tamiya paints. I'm also trying to push myself to use a paint brush less and less on small pieces and move to painting most pieces with an air brush. I'd like to put the days of "painting an entire interior by hand only to have it look like a five year did it" behind me.

Short version - Tamiya Acrylic or enamel?

Testors enamel - comfortable using/detailing with a paint brush, looks terrible.

Tamiya Acrylic - not comfortable with, better results with airbrush?

Tamiya Enamel - Any reason to buy over acrylic?

2.) How long do the less than an ounce jars last when used through an airbrush?

Ultimately I'm trying to balance out using the correct color with $ value. There are certain work horse colors that are used so much I know it will just be easier and less expensive to use general hardware store spray paints - Flat Black, Satin Black, Steel, etc. For other colors I'd like to stick in the Hobby world instead of just saying, "This blue is close enough." It will give me less anxiety to actually use the called for color instead of always trying to find an alternative, but at the same time so does spending less.

I know for a standard 3 oz spray can I can safely do one entire body + touch up, but how long will the non-aerosol, less than an ounce paint jars last if I use an airbrush? Two-three models? 200 years? What is the general consensus for how often certain colors are purchased? Is it better to buy larger quantities of some colors (10ml or 23ml for example)? I know there will be a lot of variables so I'm just looking for what other builders general patterns are.

Short version: How much paint to buy?

What colors do you use so much that it's more economical to just buy a can of duplicolor?

For colors with no alternative, is it better to just buy the 23ml?

Opinions appreciated!

Personally , I use Tamiya almost exclusively . I say "almost" , as there are times when :

1.) I want to use an enamel base coat . Let's say , for instance , I'm painting a TorqueFlite transmission . Well , Tamiya's brush-on paints are a bit on the thin side (a good thing for the most part) ; and since I've never had any luck with 'building-up' coats of brush-on paints (seems like the succeeding coats 'lift' the preceding coats) , I'll use , say , Testors steel brush-on as the base . Then after that's dry , I can paint the final coat of Tamiya aluminum without any 'lifting' issues .

2.) There are some colours which Tamiya simply doesn't make ; or , maybe the enamel would be the best choice .

I've also used Gunze acrylic paints , with excellent results .

In regard to spray-on paints ; again , I use Tamiya whenever possible . Easily the best spray paints on the market ! The paint just "hugs" the body ! I've never had issues with orange peel , runs , drips , thinning or any other negative issues !

Conversely , I use Testors enamel Gloss Clear over the Tamiya colour coats . Why ? Same reason given above , albeit without the 'lifting' . The enamel clear just "sits" on top of the Tamiya synthetic lacquer colour . This translates into : no colour sanding / polishing / waxing !

As a side note ; I have one bottle of Tamiya Clear Red and one bottle of Gunze Clear Orange , and they're both 28 (that's right , twenty-eight) years old , and they're still just as good as the day I bought them in late 1985 !!!

Edited by 1972coronet