Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bolt heads

You can make your own with plastruct hex rod. Just cut the rod into slices of needed thickness. It takes a few to get ones with parallel sides, but you can get a lot of bolts from one package of rod.

Model Car Garage here, but I don't like PE for larger scale bolts, they are too flat.

Scale Hardeware also has small metal bolts, but they aren't really that cheap.

Check model railroad shops or sites, Grandt (sp?) and some other compaines make sprues of plastic bolt heads in different sizes and styles.

As for size, figure what size bolt you are replicating and scale it down here.

Edited by Erik Smith

Sorry to say though that if you order from Al at Ma's your in for a looooooooong wait. His stuff is top shelf but his turn around time is extremely long. My last order was 1 year wait and my current order probably isn't going to be any different. Just saying in case your in a hurry.

High as in I don't want to spend $10 or more right now because I'm not sure if I will ever use them again. I've got more to buy for this build as in carbon fiber decal, wheels and brakes, and other little goodies. I like that archer transfer, but it's going over another decal is this possible to do? I know adding glue I am taking a chance as well.

Right, but here is what I'm planning on. I've got the questions answered to where I can find. I am making scoops overlaid in carbon fiber. Which I'm planning on making it look like its bolted on. Along with the gas cap and some other things if I can think of any.

So the first layer will be carbon fiber decal, second layer will be resin bolts, real metal or hex rod.

Edited by Kaleb

• 2 weeks later...

Look @ Ozark Miniatures white metal alloy bolt heads. They are primarily an aftermarket maker of model RR parts (1/24-1/20.3 scale), and cater mostly to older steam locomotive and RR car kit-bashers & scratch-builders, plus offer an extensive line of logging tools & equipment - many are useful for building vehicles, too, esp vintage trucks.

Ozark offers more than several sizes of bolt castings, - hex head, square head, and most have cast in place washers & nuts (both hex & square). The ones w/ exposed thread poking thru the nut's side of the casting are excellent for replicating wheel studs. Since they offer a decent range of sizes, there should be some useful pieces for modeling vehicles in 1/25/1/24, 1/16. 1/12, & 1/8th scales,

And, they are quite reasonably priced, too. Well stocked model train shops - esp those catering to G gauge/large scale RR type model trains - may stock Ozark Miniature's parts.

Google: Ozark Miniatures for more info (for some reason, I'm unable to paste a link to their web address on this post??)

• 4 years later...
On 10/14/2013 at 1:03 PM, jeffs396 said:

Alan @ Ma's resin has an excellent RESIN hex bolts/nut set for a more three dimensional look, plus they are super high quality and CHEAP too :)

http://public.fotki.com/cnaind/general-detail-stuff/

These are a direct recast of the Verlinden Bolts. I don't know if Verlinden still sells them, but they are a direct copy.

Edited by OutaFocus

Or you could get a hex punch and die set and make your own from sheet plastic. If you don't think you'll need enough to justify buying that tool, I could punch some out and send them to you, if my punches are the right size.

2v2uH9bSyxeZA4.jpg

On 10/14/2013 at 10:08 AM, Erik Smith said:

You can make your own with plastruct hex rod. Just cut the rod into slices of needed thickness. It takes a few to get ones with parallel sides, but you can get a lot of bolts from one package of rod.

Model Car Garage here, but I don't like PE for larger scale bolts, they are too flat.

Scale Hardeware also has small metal bolts, but they aren't really that cheap.

Check model railroad shops or sites, Grandt (sp?) and some other compaines make sprues of plastic bolt heads in different sizes and styles.

As for size, figure what size bolt you are replicating and scale it down here.

Scale hardware is defundt.  

R B Motion sells. their stuff now.

http://www.rbmotion.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=71

bolthead_full.jpg