Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors 'Car Colors' from ca.1984

I am pulling the remaineder of my hair out searching for info about Testors Car Colors spray paints from circa 1983 - late 1985 .

This line of aerosols was replaced in Fall 1985 by the then-new Model Masters line .

Am I the only one whom recalls this short-lived line of paints ? If anyone else recalls these paints , please share your recollections here ; and it's even better if you've got photos / links !

Edited by 1972coronet

I remember them well and they airbrushed really nice when decanted. I think they were supposed to mimic 1:1 car colors popular in the day. I believe I have a few cans kickin' around here. Who remembers Gray Fern Metallic and Mist Gray Metallic. ;)

YES !

I absolutely remember those colours ! I've used both of them on a couple of the dozens of MPC (1984) "Special Edition" Anniversary Corvette models that I built back then . The colours you'd mentioned ( :) ) in addition to Sky Blue Metallic and "_______________" Red Metallic .

Matter of fact , I just bought a factory-sealled Special Edition Corvette from eBay ; that's what catalysed my recollection of those spray colours .

I wonder what's a 'close enough' aerosol paint that's readily available , that's similar to Sky Blue Metallic ...

I believe if you look, all or most have morphed over to the Model Master line.

l remember some of them. l agree with mike some went in the model master line but some was discontinued. some old testor colors still pop up on ebay from time to time. l am sure you can get something close...

YES !

I absolutely remember those colours ! I've used both of them on a couple of the dozens of MPC (1984) "Special Edition" Anniversary Corvette models that I built back then . The colours you'd mentioned ( :) ) in addition to Sky Blue Metallic and "_______________" Red Metallic .

Matter of fact , I just bought a factory-sealled Special Edition Corvette from eBay ; that's what catalysed my recollection of those spray colours .

I wonder what's a 'close enough' aerosol paint that's readily available , that's similar to Sky Blue Metallic ...

"Kiln Red Metallic" possibly?

About a month ago I found a hobby shop that still has a few cans on the shelf !!! I can't remember which colors were there though.

WHOA !! That's cool ! Wonder if any are ever sold ? They're nearing 30 years in age !

"Kiln Red Metallic" possibly?

I do recall Kiln Red Metallic as it appeared under the Masters banner . I'm sure that it's one of the carry-over colours ; I just can't remember its Car Colors name .

When the Monogram 1/12th scale 1957 Chevy Bel Air premiered in 1986 , I bought one for my friend for his birthday , and one for myself . I painted mine Kiln Red :) .

Found an old list in my files;

1801 Cherry Red

1802 Garnet Pearl

1803 Deep Maroon Metallic

1804 Blue Pearl

1805 Sky Blue Metallic

1806 Midnight Blue Metallic

1807 Super Silver Metallic

1808 Mist Gray Metallic

1809 Gray Fern Metallic

1810 Deep Gold Metallic

1811 Sand Gray Metallic

1812 Sandstone Pearl Metallic

1813 Black Pearl

1814 Clear

• Like 1

Found an old list in my files;

1801 Cherry Red

1802 Garnet Pearl

1803 Deep Maroon Metallic

1804 Blue Pearl

1805 Sky Blue Metallic

1806 Midnight Blue Metallic

1807 Super Silver Metallic

1808 Mist Gray Metallic

1809 Gray Fern Metallic

1810 Deep Gold Metallic

1811 Sand Gray Metallic

1812 Sandstone Pearl Metallic

1813 Black Pearl

1814 Clear

NICE ! Thanks much for the list :) :) :) :)

I don't find a date on the Deep Gold Metallic, just some random stock numbers on the bottom of the can. It still rattles, so I've got my fingers crossed, and I'll update ya. Waiting for fall to settle in here in south Texas, with lower temperatures and humidity...

I sent an email to Testors , including the list of colours provided by pack rat (thanks again :) ) , yesterday evening .

This morning at around 0700 HRS west coast time , I received a response from Testors via email.

Unfortunately , those colours --at least with those part numbers-- are long gone :( .

While this news is disappointing --I was hoping that the colours were simply reassigned to the Masters line-- I was never-the-less pleased with Testors quick response :) .

Please continue to share your recollections and experiences with these colours ; I'm hoping to see some photos , too .

Thank to all of you whom have contributed to this thread !

Just an update for those interested...I bought a can of Deep Gold Pearl Metallic that I found in a local hobby shop a few weeks ago, and used it today. To my surprise, I got a decent paint job with it, though it took two nozzles. The paint came out with gusto (plenty of propellant), and a little thick, but I'm satisfied with the results. The color was a shock, though, since I was expecting some variation on gold. Instead, what I got was sort of a medium brown, more pearl than metallic. And sorry, no pictures.

• 7 years later...
On 10/14/2013 at 11:35 PM, 1972coronet said:

I am pulling the remaineder of my hair out searching for info about Testors Car Colors spray paints from circa 1983 - late 1985 .

This line of aerosols was replaced in Fall 1985 by the then-new Model Masters line .

Am I the only one whom recalls this short-lived line of paints ? If anyone else recalls these paints , please share your recollections here ; and it's even better if you've got photos / links !

Those were available into the 1990s. I used some of those when I was building box art models for AMT/Ertl from 1990 to 1995, and buying them at WalMart. 

Never hurts to revive an old thread, right?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Those were available into the 1990s. I used some of those when I was building box art models for AMT/Ertl from 1990 to 1995, and buying them at WalMart. 

I have a sentimental attachment to not only the colours themselves , but the labelling as well . 

It seems as though -like everything else from the days of yore- those paints lasted forever , flashed quickly , and laid down smoothly . I'm pretty certain that good old California had a specific 'mix' ( for lack of the proper term ) by c.1991 or so , as later paints from Testors took forever to flash ! The packaging - the cans - quality also took a dive . I used to have Testors aerosols dating to the 70's in the 90's , and they were still good in every way . 

10 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Nothing wrong with revisiting old threads.

John asked for pics in his original post; in the intervening years I have taken quite a few pics of my builds....here are a few painted with Car Colors (decanted except the Galaxy)

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pack rat said:

Nothing wrong with revisiting old threads.

John asked for pics in his original post; in the intervening years I have taken quite a few pics of my builds....here are a few painted with Car Colors (decanted except the Galaxy)

Thanks much for sharing those . Those are super nice cars ; the colours are perfectly represented here . 

That Lancer reminds me of the 1960-1962 Valiant promo ( maybe a  Craftsman Jr.  kit ? I'm not sure... )   that I have .