Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3R (997)

awholley

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here, so I hope this turns out right :P

This is the first model that I've made, so tips, tricks, and criticism are all welcome.

It's far from perfect, but I've learned a lot since I started and finished this build, and I can say I'm hooked, and there will DEFINITELY be many more cars to come!

So here's my mostly to the box 911 "GT3R" curbside model.

It's been primed, painted, and clearcoated with Tamiya spray cans, but I didn't get around to wet sanding or polishing it, because I was unsure about techniques, as well as I was satisfied the way it was.

I wasn't exactly sure how the tail lights were supposed to be done, and surprisingly I couldn't find anything on the interwebz on it. I also hadn't found this forum yet. So I tried masking and painting the insides of them, but when I glued them on the plastic had a weird reaction with the fumes from the glue and they became all rippled inside :( I also cant remove the shell because of the way I glued the diffuser and front lip.. <_<

But I'm quite proud and really happy of the way it turned out!

EDIT: I forgot to say that the model went together really quite well, and wasn't too difficult for a beginner like me, although I do wish there were a bit more parts..

post-12608-0-59823500-1381812237_thumb.j

post-12608-0-48853100-1381812238_thumb.j

post-12608-0-59068100-1381812239_thumb.j

post-12608-0-42250200-1381812240_thumb.j

post-12608-0-18643000-1381812241_thumb.j

post-12608-0-11445900-1381812242_thumb.j

Edited by awholley

Thats a sharp looking Porsche. From the issue you had with the tail lights I'm guessing you used the same plastic glue you used to assemble the kit with.

Next time I would use a PVA wood glue or similar. These should be available from any hardware store and as they are water based they don't damage the plastic like solvent glues will when attaching clear parts.

Micro Kristal Clear is a similar glue that is sold through Hobby Shops.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-9&Category_Code=FINPROD&Product_Count=8

That's a really nice build Alex very sharp and clean! Gonna keep my eye out for this kit, I love it!! If I could offer one very small tip, I'd dab a bit of dark smoke or matt black in the exhaust tips to really make them pop.

Thanks for sharing it.

Jason

VERY nice for a first build Alex!

Don't be too hard on yourself about the taillights, it is a small issue that is not too noticeable in your pics.

A lot of the Fujimi kits are curbsides. They don't have engine detail or a lot of parts but you could look for the Enthusiast series by Fujimi......they are full detail with a LOT of parts.

Thanks for showing your build!

That's a really nice build Alex very sharp and clean! Gonna keep my eye out for this kit, I love it!! If I could offer one very small tip, I'd dab a bit of dark smoke or matt black in the exhaust tips to really make them pop.

Thanks for sharing it.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I've been meaning to do that, maybe while I'm painting my next one. Hoping to pick something up today!

Thanks everyone for the comments, this is a very welcoming forum. :)

• 1 month later...