Model Cars Magazine Forum

need a little help picking a 55 belair model

So I want to build a model of my grandpas car for my father. I have looked at a number of kits online, but I can't really tell if there prostreet. I have considered tubbing a stock model myself I just don't think it would turn out all that well. I have attached a few pics of the 1:1. Any help finding a good model to use as a starter would be highly appreciated.

IMG_35985070109068.jpg

IMG_33507444324686-1.jpg

I am no expert on the best 55 chevy to pick, but I am pretty good when it comes to pro streeting. I like the AMT 55 chevy. I am sure there are people who can point out good and bad of it better than me. i would also pick up the Revell 67 chevelle pro street kit. I used that to back half one of my 55's. not too difficult of a thing just to cut the chassis in the right place and glue the 2 together. I did a little more fiddling with it to get it as low as possible, you don't have to take it that far. in fact, that whole chassis (67 chevelle) may fit under that 55 with minimal effort.

there will be plenty of help coming for you in future posts, I am sure.

I will be watching, I am kind of curious on what everyone has to say on the situation.

post-5121-0-40653400-1381929067_thumb.jp

I would say the AMT '55 sedan is as good a place to start as any. I have one I bought a long time ago and it has so many major ripples down the side of it I don't know that it's usable, but I still think it would be a good platform to work off of...

Tubbs - Your '55 looks out-of-this-world. I love its stance and what you've done to it so far.

Definitely go with the AMT '55 sedan.For the tubbed chassis you might want to look at the new tool version of the AMT '57 Chevy street machine.It has an already tubbed Tri 5 Chevy type chassis in it.

Edited by ZTony8

I know it's a 210, but it will be a lot easier too find a belair model

For starters, there has been but just one 1955 Chevy sedan produced in kit form, and that is the AMT '55 Belair 2dr sedan. There are far too many serious differences in bodywork (besides the obvious pillarless 2dr hardtop roof) between say, a '55 Chevy hardtop or convertible and a sedan to make it at all easy to change the hardtop into the "post" sedan body.

Art

For starters, there has been but just one 1955 Chevy sedan produced in kit form, and that is the AMT '55 Belair 2dr sedan. There are far too many serious differences in bodywork (besides the obvious pillarless 2dr hardtop roof) between say, a '55 Chevy hardtop or convertible and a sedan to make it at all easy to change the hardtop into the "post" sedan body.

Art

Well this is going to sound horrible but I never noticed the b pillars on the 210 but not on the belair. Ill try to find a better model to use. I habe been into cars since I was a child always going to xar shows with my dad and grandpa. I'm more into imports and camaros. Cant believe I never noticed that. Is there any other differences between the two? Thanks for the help

While AMT's kit is a BelAir and is the only '55 two-door sedan available in kit form, it's a relatively easy conversion to the 210. Just sand off the "BelAir" name on the quarter panel and don't foil the trim around the windows and on the front fender and door. If you want to get more detailed remove and replace the molding on the quarter (AMT's is too low anyway!) with a narrow piece made from styrene strip and invest in a set of photoetched emblems for the "Chevrolet" nameplate. You may also want to sand down the front fender molding so that it doesn't run into the door (on the 210 it's just a raised line on the fender only.)

Hope that helps. Good luck with your project and post up a build thread when you get going!

Edited by John Goschke

Well this is going to sound horrible but I never noticed the b pillars on the 210 but not on the belair. Ill try to find a better model to use. I habe been into cars since I was a child always going to xar shows with my dad and grandpa. I'm more into imports and camaros. Cant believe I never noticed that. Is there any other differences between the two? Thanks for the help

In addition to the B pillar, the roof on the two-door sedan is longer and higher than that on the two-door hardtop. Both body styles were available in the 210 and BelAir line (though 210 two-door hardtops were introduced late in the model year and are quite rare as a result.)

BelAir two-door sedan...

11241-1955-Chevrolet-Bel-Air.jpg

BelAir two-door hardtop. Notice the relationship of the C pillar to the dip in the beltline on each car to see the significant difference in roof length...

mert_bebee_side_lg.jpg

You can use the AMT kit sedan body. It's the same as a 210 except for the chrome trim piece. The Bel Air has a sunken detail that was usually painted white in the center valley. The 210 trim was a single thin piece of chrome without that white painted valley. Study the pics of the Bel Air post sedan and the pic of your grandfather's car and the difference will be evident. Luckily, the AMT kit did not add the front fender trim piece that is seen on most Bel Airs.

• 2 months later...

I hope this isnt a dumb question....When you all recommend a particular model would it be helpful to post a picture of the box so us newbies no what to go get? Or in this case when you say AMT 55 chevy, does that mean ANY AMT 55 Chevy?

Thanks

In this case that's what it means.

Sometimes We here, take for granted that when you post a picture of a car that you want to replicate,Post #1.

You already have an Idea of the kit you are going to use to start with, say an AMT 55 2 door sedan.

Asking questions about, Is this a stock kit? How do I go about Tubbbing the rear end? How should I lower it?

Comes later in the build. After you already have the kit in hand.

Edited by my80malibu

The AMT 55 Sedan was issued as a pro street version back in the early 90's, and you may still find one. By the way, your grandpa's 55 is a 210, not a Belair.

It wasn't a real pro street car. It had the same chassis it's always had. They just added a set of Centerline wheels and a funky paint job on the box art.

I have a '55 Chevy pro street project. The entire chassis from the Revell Pro Street '67 Chevelle will fit it perfectly. If your grandpa's '55 is a back half car, you could just use the back half from the Chevelle. The problem with the AMT '55 chassis is that it has the molded in exhaust. If that's a concern, you could get a donor chassis from either the Revell '55 convertible or the hardtop. The Revell '57 210 or Bel Air would work also.