Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt Pete 359 Restoration

It looks better once i got that black "Gunk" or whatever you want to call it off and parts broke down ready to reassemble! :wub:
DSCI2633_zps6186bf16.jpg
Let the pic do the explaining! B)
Amtpeteresto_zps007d53f2.jpg
You guys cant see the writing can you? ...Well i was able to save the ebay junk frame
pulled the fuel tanks apart and cleaned em then reassembled em and also thinking of grafting a revell bunk in since there is no sides to the amt sleeper?
also have to scratch two or three little parts before i can paint the frame?
Comments and Criticism welcomed! B)B)B)
Edited by bandit1

Pardon the ignorance but how do you guys strip and "disassemble" these things?

THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE NOT ASKED! - Unknown Author!

Strip paint?...There are a number of ways...

Purple Power - Heavy duty degreaser

Mean Green - Another heavy duty degreaser

DOT 3 break fluid strips paint off plastic

Wesley's Bleche Wite - For white wall tires but can be used to strip paint

Draino strips to...

etc... to many to list really

Edited by bandit1

Pardon the ignorance but how do you guys strip and "disassemble" these things?

G,day mate , at the moment i do the old resto jobs and there easy . I use easy off oven cleaner in the spray can to remove the paint which seems to work quick . NOW for the pull apart stage , most are long discontinued trucks so the glue is old and brittle and you can bet the builder NEVER scrapped off the chrome so its not glued there properly either . If the glue is a bit thick and is going to break the parts a soaking in water for about 24 hours and the water will normally get into the glued area somehow and then its into the freezer for a couple of days . As the water freezers it expands and normally pulls the parts apart . Then there's the times when you help it a little with a sharp knife and try and break the part close to the joined area so you can easily put it back together . It's also best to have a couple of the same trucks so you can use the best parts , that's how i do it . I hope to help a little , cheers mark .

• 1 month later...

it seems kind of strange , but I have gotten more enjoyment and satisfaction out of building or rebuilding something, no matter if its an ww2 aircraft or whatever , out of a big steaming pile of used plastic ! keep going ,your on the right path, looks good............john

it seems kind of strange , but I have gotten more enjoyment and satisfaction out of building or rebuilding something, no matter if its an ww2 aircraft or whatever , out of a big steaming pile of used plastic ! keep going ,your on the right path, looks good............john

Especially when it gives you a challenge being i had to scratch a new front motor mount that was missing and have to scratch another brake booster on the front axle ... the guy that i bought it off of thought it was complete and so did i till i looked and noticed...lol

I've got a couple of kits slated for "redo" on the shelf....Looks like you're having some fun with it....Amazing what you can do with an old glue bomb the other guy had no clue what to do with....One man's trash....Another man's treasure.... :)

I'd love to see em'! B)

So very cool to see these rebuilds. Always nice to have a second chance in better hands. .

(Yup, Christmas, the old Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer show is on...reminds me of the island of misfits...no pun intended....)

Ain't we all "MISFITS"? :blink::lol::lol: