Model Cars Magazine Forum

building the cars from cars

brett

Thanks Carl, Seeing as Sally was motoring along I decided to start on McQueen. First up fill all the un needed holes and vents
DSCF0092_zps9882739a.jpg
DSCF0093_zpsd2d24ef6.jpg
and as his headlights are "just stickers" put the lenses in those too, to blend in so they can be painted over

DSCF0095_zps4e4f48df.jpg
so I rubs the lotion on the McQueen then I rubs it back off (thats body filler for the un knowing :) )then I rubs some more on
DSCF0100_zpsfaa884b0.jpg
and tomorrow I'll rub it off and prime to find any remaining low spots

Edited by brett

and a last couple for the night
DSCF0096_zpse3081ad9.jpg
DSCF0098_zpsb2c317a5.jpg
DSCF0097_zps03aad522.jpg
now I know Sally doesn't actually have any sort of rear spoiler I really couldnt be bothered making up the plate necessary to replace it so I just left it really low. I did say there would be some fudged details along the way :)

KACHOW !!! That is lookin' good, should do the version of him after the race against Doc, with all the tumblweeds stuck on his hood, or maybe the "Radiator Springs" version with the painted coves, metalflake paint & wide whites, after all most of the ones that are built are just the generic version. Oh yeah there's the one in the three wide finish with Lightnings tongue sticking out to make him longer for the photo finish. (My grandson reminded me of that one by bring all the different Lightning die-casts in for me to look at after he saw the Mater build up.) There is some "striping" in the Merc kit that can be used for Sally's "Tramp Stamp"

thanks guys, Del, I really like the candy red with white coves rendition but will stick to the more common one for this project,although the tongue is a great idea and thank you so much for reminding me about Sallys' tramp stamp ( its now done ). Anyways, used ared guide coat over the primer for one last check of high/low spots before paint, found a couple but he's pretty close now

DSCF0128_zpsb3859257.jpg

DSCF0127_zpsaa46c2ae.jpg

Now to draw out the flame masks

thanks guys, appreciate the comments, made a simple slammer style chassis for McQueen as it seemed a waste of a ZR1, and way too much work for my allowed time frame to modify a NASCAR chassis to fit(not only was the wheelbase off it meant altering all the roll-cage as well).
DSCF0192_zpsfd0909d9.jpg
quick mock up in paint
DSCF0195_zps58a90cc2.jpg
DSCF0196_zps8d9e622d.jpg
also got the lights up on Mater, just gotta get the wheels now
DSCF0198_zps11106933.jpg

Cheers Jake , got to find some wheels for Mater( 32nd scale truck/ military ), make Sally's eyebrows ( well paint and glue) and do a couple touch ups on lightning then clear and re paint his side windows , his headlights are a bit of a problem at the moment but will figure something out
DSCF0243_zps3cfde399.jpg
DSCF0244_zpsdcc20801.jpg
DSCF0247_zps3ee292de.jpg
DSCF0248_zps9c4e9fad.jpg

• 1 month later...