Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1:32 1977 Mercury Monarch

Maindrian Pace

This is part II in the Lindberg Ford series, finished last night.

PA170078_zpsc31c0bd2.jpg

The full vinyl top was converted to a half top, the front header panel and headlights were corrected to Monarch, as the kit comes with Granada headlights, and the rest is box stock.

PA170071_zps5207bd3d.jpg

PA170065_zps63439a66.jpg

PA170073_zps9711b280.jpg

PA170070_zps58652f1b.jpg

Paint is Tamiya gloss aluminum with two coats of Model Master high gloss clear, top and interior are Rustoleum Colonial red, carpet in a darker burgundy. Vinyl Nation whitewall decals, and bumper rub strips and side trim inserts are narrowed pinstripe tape.

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Very impressive build. Very sharp. Remember the commercial where they had a diamond cutter cut a diamond in the back seat...

Or the old SNL skit where the rabbi was performing a circumcision in the back seat!!! :lol:

BTW... beautiful model! Very nicely done, and the half roof looks great.

Maybe Round2 can reissue some of these?...

I would die if Round2 were to reissue these kits !! My parents bought a 1976 Monarch in March of '76 . It was a 2 door coupe with the 351W ; silver with cranberry red interior and a silver "quarter top" .

Been looking for these Lindberg 32nd scale Monarchs for some time . Seems that I can never "win" one when they pop up on eBay :(

Thanks for the nice words everyone.

Exceptional job Mike, looks fantastic!! Sure does bring back memories, I owned three 77 Granadas two white and a dove gray, and all three had burgandy interiors, they were very good cars. :D

I never owned one Larry, but I've pulled countless front spindles and 8" and 9" rear ends out of them. Back in the '80s, a coworker had the most loaded Monarch I've ever seen - a white '76 coupe with 1/2 white vinyl top, 351W, four wheel disc brakes with the 9" rear, burgundy velour interior, and power everything. I didn't think much of it then, but to have it now...

Outstanding!!! Perfect mods and detailing, great colours - I doubt this kit has ever looked so good.

Thanks Peter, I always look forward to seeing your builds.

-MJS

Just got the December Hemmings Classic Car mag and guess what's featured on pp.44-47.

Talk about a coincidence. I haven't got my issue yet, hopefully it's in today's mail.

I would die if Round2 were to reissue these kits !! My parents bought a 1976 Monarch in March of '76 . It was a 2 door coupe with the 351W ; silver with cranberry red interior and a silver "quarter top" .

Been looking for these Lindberg 32nd scale Monarchs for some time . Seems that I can never "win" one when they pop up on eBay :(

Your parents had good taste, that car sounds about perfect. I lost out on a couple of these on ebay for high dollars, and then this one came up for less than $20 shipped. You just never know.

A few shots of the headlight conversion:

P8270012_zps9bd1147d.jpg

P8280013_zps99ec470e.jpg

P8300016_zps1962362f.jpg

Not exact, but close enough for Lindberg work!

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Looks good, especially since I know just how crude that kit is! I also had a '77 Monarch, mine a V8 silver 4 door sedan with a light blue interior that had bucket seats and the same console / floor shifter that came in Mustangs. I got mine fairly cheap since a friend's father got transferred to England and had to sell the car.

A few years ago there was a 1976 or so red Granada two door for sale on Long Island through eBay. It was very low miles and perfect. I had a hard time not hitting that "Buy It Now" button.