Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Ford - - W.I.P.

Ramfins59

I started working on an AMT (Round 2 Reissue) of the '56 Ford Fairlane kit a couple of days ago. This kit's tooling is really showing its age with the large amount of flash on most of the parts, involving a lot of cleanup.

I completed the engine, adding an M.A.D. prewired distributor, a Radio Shack diode for a fuel filter,a Detail Master aluminum air cleaner and an aftermarket aluminum coil because there wasn't one in the kit...

1956FORDENGINE11024x751_zpsbe20c279.jpg

1956FORDENGINE21024x762_zpsd98d9807.jpg

I detail painted the chassis with the molded in exhaust and added aluminum tubing exhaust tips. The front and rear end pieces still have to be painted and attached.

1956FORDPAINTEDCHASSIS1024x748_zps34029e

I sanded the mold lines on the body and sanded off the emblems, badges, door handles and wipers. I filled in the depression in the hood for the hood ornament with bondo and sanded it smooth and added resin cruiser skirts. This car will be a mild, "bolt-on style" Custom. It will have a tube grille, dummy spots, mirrors, antenna's, Pegasus cross bar hubcaps up front, Lake Pipes, Merc wagon taillights and a full width continental kit. I made my own platform for the connie kit from sheet plastic and bought the chrome ring and front & rear covers for it from Modelhaus (They will sell them to you as separate parts now for $5/set......

I bought 6 sets). The colors for this car will be Tamiya French Blue and White.

1956FORDBODYREADYFORPRIMER1024x762_zpsf9

Thanks for looking in on this new project. As always, all comments, critiques and whatever are welcomed and appreciated. Further updates to come as they happen.

Edited by Ramfins59

Thanks very much everyone. I appreciate all of your encouraging comments. I'm contemplating gluing the doors shut on this car as those plastic hinges always let the doors sag when they're open. I'm not into trying to make "better" hinges.

John, thanks a lot. Nothing like being "in the groove" ... right Mr. Bassman..??

Rich..."imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"....therefore I am going to flatter you by using the diode fuel filter on the '56 I just started last week. That looks wonderful! Great idea!

(I am doing my '56 as a convertible in stock Sunset Coral and Snowshoe White as a gift for my 76 year old neighbor. )

Please keep us posted with pics. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

D

Thanks guys. All of your encouraging words keep me going.

Doug, I just got done looking at your '56 convertible build thread and love it. Your color choices sound great. I haven't used one of those diodes as a fuel filter in awhile. It's not an original idea of mine and even if it was you'd be OK to use it.

Tom, yeah I've got a small pile of those diodes left too. Now Radio Shack only sells them in pkgs. of 2...!! I guess I'll have to add some speakers and a tuner to the model to get that radio reception to actually play...LOL.

Thanks a lot Kevin and Ron. Today I finished the chassis and primed the body and doors, hood, front splash pan,etc,,, Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, maybe I can start shooting some paint. I'll also start work on the interior. Pics to come as the work progresses.

The body, doors and hood have been painted and clearcoated. They are all placed together and mocked up on the completed chassis for these pictures. Things will obviously look a lot neater once everything is all polished out and the BMF work is done.

56FORDMODELPAINTEDANDCLEARCOATED11024x73

56FORDMODELPAINTEDANDCLEARCOATED21024x70

I completed work on the interior. The carpet and rear tray are flocked in dark blue and the seats and door panels are painted blue with white inserts. I added some BMF trim and resin cranks and handles which are painted chrome silver.

56FORDINTERIORFINISHED1024x748_zps638470

The dash is painted body color and detailed with BMF, gauge faces from BestModelCarParts covered with clear epoxy for lenses, and dots of black paint for the knobs.

56FORDINTERIORPARTSFINISHED1024x753_zps6

Hopefully tomorrow I can polish out the car and then put on the BMF. Thanks for following along on this build and stay tuned for additional updates.