Academy

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I was just curious, I have a chance to get a kit subject I've always wanted, but its made by Academy. I have no experience with this manufacturer .. I've been bitten before by "off brand" kits.. Example; the Yodel Plymouth Fury.. great box art .. horrible kit ..

Posted · Report post

What kit is it you are interested in?

Academy has made some nice aircraft and armor kits but I'm not to sure about their car kits.

Posted · Report post

There are a couple, BMW 635 and the Lamborghini Countach ..

Posted · Report post

Sorry Dan, I don't have experience with either kit.

I did a quick look around on the net and found this video where the kit is unboxed. Not really a review but maybe it gives you an idea of what to expect.

The BMW starts around the 8 min point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCif8J_xspA

Rob

Posted · Report post

Academy is usually co-branded with Minicraft these days. A very large number of their kits are re-boxed versions from a variety of other manufacturers, so it's a mixed bag for quality.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I saw that vid too,not a whole lot of info in it but thank you for taking the time to look it up. . I guess for $9 plus shipping I can take the chance ..

Posted · Report post

Academy is usually co-branded with Minicraft these days. A very large number of their kits are re-boxed versions from a variety of other manufacturers, so it's a mixed bag for quality.

That's good info. The aforementioned video on YouTube makes me think "90's fujimi /testors" type of stuff.. not the best, but certainly not the worst ..

Posted · Report post

The Academy-Minicraft relationship ended at least 10 years ago. They have nothing to do with each other now. Academy is now imported by MRC.

I'm going to venture a guess that these two kits in particular are Tamiya copies. Academy got their start about 30 years ago making copies of Tamiya models, and Tamiya also made kits of these same two subjects.