Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was just curious, I have a chance to get a kit subject I've always wanted, but its made by Academy. I have no experience with this manufacturer .. I've been bitten before by "off brand" kits.. Example; the Yodel Plymouth Fury.. great box art .. horrible kit ..

Academy is usually co-branded with Minicraft these days. A very large number of their kits are re-boxed versions from a variety of other manufacturers, so it's a mixed bag for quality.

That's good info. The aforementioned video on YouTube makes me think "90's fujimi /testors" type of stuff.. not the best, but certainly not the worst ..

Academy is usually co-branded with Minicraft these days. A very large number of their kits are re-boxed versions from a variety of other manufacturers, so it's a mixed bag for quality.

The Academy-Minicraft relationship ended at least 10 years ago. They have nothing to do with each other now. Academy is now imported by MRC.

I'm going to venture a guess that these two kits in particular are Tamiya copies. Academy got their start about 30 years ago making copies of Tamiya models, and Tamiya also made kits of these same two subjects.