Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/43 "Ramchargers" 1965 Dodge Coronet AWB (model & video)

43rdMuscle

The Ramchargers were a famed drag racing team that help developed the funny car class in the sixties and well into the seventies. The Ramchargers were a group of Chrysler engineers that raced on the side using the best of Chrysler engineering. The team ran a series of race cars including an altered 49 Chrysler to a plethora of stockers and super stockers. Within the group of the Ramchargers that included Dick Maxwell, Tom Hoover, Phil Goulet, Don Westerdale, Jim Thornton, and many others, began the early development of the funny car.

The Ramchargers were one of the first teams to have the 2% Super Stockers. The 2% led to the next stage of the radical altered wheelbased funny cars. The Coronet in the photos is said to be one of the first FCs into the eights, if not the first ever! Jim Thornton drove the car to a great 8.925, 150.75 at Cecil County in 1965. The Coronet was feared by many and rightly so. The car was one of the first well-known funny cars and one of the stars of the first Super Stock Nationals at York, PA, in 1965.

The model

54 made by SMTS for GADM (Quarter Mile series) in white metal

post-12601-0-69939900-1382275666_thumb.jpost-12601-0-66254700-1382275665_thumb.j

The real deal

post-12601-0-87894500-1382275616_thumb.j

The video

Edited by 43rdMuscle

• 9 years later...

Question for you....  you have 2700 as a window number.   Is this something you randomly put?  Or do you have a photo of the real car with this number?   I'm asking, because I've been trying to find any picture of this car with a window number on it, and I can't find anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this old post and being a Ramchargers AWB fan I thought I'd comment to your question about the 2700 number.  It may have indicated the weight class of a particular race.  At the legendary Super Stock & Drag Illustrated race at York, Pa in '65, that is how the classes were separated, by weight.  You might try looking on the HAMB site they have an AWB section.  Good luck.