Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Trumpeter Bf109 G-14 "Black 10" Part 2

Ok you all. Back for Part 2 here.

After I applied the basic camo theme and the mottling I moved on to the decals:

Decal1001.jpg

Before this I knew nothing of really HOW to apply decals. I had the whole gloss coat thing down but never used decal set or Microsol until here. I will never NOT use them again!!! These decals were a dream too. They were Eagle Strike decals #24006.

Moving along to the plane with a few more items on it and opened back up after the dull coat was applied

GettingthereBf109G-14002.jpg

I used after market wheels too. Can't remember the manufacturer but those turned out decent too. The dang tail wheel strut broke early on in the build so I had to wait till this stage to drill out the strut going up into the fuselage and the other half that was still attached to the tailwheel side of the strut. I then inserted a metal rod into both halves and pressed fit together using epoxy to secure the rod at both ends. It worked!!! And this is a heavy bird!!

A little up close of the engine detail and weathering of the nose:

GettingthereBf109G-142004.jpg

I also weathered the engine here after I had learned some tricks on how to do it!

And finally some finishing pics:

GettingThere5001.jpg

This is the only picture I have with the cowlings closed. I should have taken a couple more this way.

GettingThere6002.jpg

..............and with the cowlings open.

This next one below is outside and though it's unfinished, it shows the color off well.

GettingThere4.jpg

and then there's the scratch build deluxe for me on this whole build pictured below. I bought a 1/35 scale 3.7cm brass ammo kit and used the shells from it. I opened up one of the wing gun pod access covers, sanded the door and inside of the pod to scale and displayed the 20mm cannon. This was SCREAMING for something stoooopid in here so I cut the 3.7cm shells a little short so that they would fit into the ammo chute of the wing cannon. Then I used aluminum tape to scratchbuild the belt links and weathered the ammo and belt links. I weathered the cannon as well and drilled out the cannon barrels at the ends. Here's all that stuff in a picture:

Underwingcannondetail.jpg

And that's that in a nutshell. All in all I was happy with it. It took me about 8-1/2 months to build largely because of my inexperience and my taking extra precautions as to not do double work or screw this thing up. I will say this: 1) I have gone back to building 1/48 scale stuff because that's where I belong , 2) that Trumpeter has to make some of the most over engineered stuff I have ever seen. You know, 8 parts to accomplish building something that should have only taken 2 or maybe 3 and finally, 3) the friggin ejector pin marks!!! Good Grief there were tons ......and all in the wrong places!! Really I got past this build ok. While looking back and knowing that there were some things I wished I could have done differently or better I also feel a sense of accomplishment.....and had fun doing it. Thanks for looking, Joe

Edited by mustang1989

Thank you Wayne. I knew when I started it all with this kit that I was going to have my hands full. My thinking was (and still is) when I started off to build it , I had to build something better than you can go out and buy. There are a lot, and I mean a lot , of pre built die cast or plastic 109's as well as other aircraft out there that you can just go buy and get it over with. With that said, I had to build something it a lot better than that. I chose probably one of the most challenging camo patterns and littered the engine and cockpit with whatever detail I could obtain / build. The wing guns were just a plus. I wasn't even going to install them until I was looking at the guns and thought to myself, " Man this gun pod would look great opened up!" So I cut the access panel open on the L/H wing gun and went to work on the cannon. Hek the gun ejector chute/ ammo feed was already opened up on the gun itself so it made total sense to feed a couple of rounds into the weapon and then lead them up into the wing with the links. The links took a LONG time to build because I had to scratch build each link. Took a week and a half on the whole pod/ gun assy to build.

Thanks Mark! I'm anxious to try the German camo that looks like a dang slug left a trail all over the whole plane. Really it aint all that bad though. The mottle effect here was done with a mask. I'm learning that high air pressure (30 psi) , barely, and I mean barely, opening the needle on the AB, really thinned paint and keeping the AB moving are all key elements in applying this pattern. My 190 A8/ R2 was done that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Speedfreak, cobraman and slusher: Thank you all for the comments. It's appreciated. I'm planning on another 109 either next year or in 15 after the Eduard G-6 comes out. It will be the same detail but in 48th scale. May do a WIP thread on that one but don't know yet. The detailed builds take in the upwards of 8-9 months to complete.

Edited by mustang1989