Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lancer Evolution VI

Toast

To have some fun at the work bench I let a friend pick out a kit and take over most of the creative direction of the build. The original deal was I had no say in it, I just follow her direction. But there are a few techniques I want to try so I will use this build as a guinea pig.

I rolled my eyes when she picked out the color but as it's coming together the Sublime Green is growing on me!

IMG_0947.jpg

For the most part I'm just going by the instruction's painting suggestions.

20131017_144357.jpg

Going with a mild street tuner look so I made a larger tail pipe.

20131017_203541.jpg

Starting to work on the interior. The color scheme of the interior in these cars is really neat and is going to be interesting to replicate!

• 9 months later...

Alrighty! where were we?

Getting back to this one and making good progress.

Going with dark wheels. here they are test fitted with the completed chassis.

20140716_172724_HDR.jpg

I used an old sheet of foil to mask around the widow trim and hood. I like this method but it'd get pretty spendy buying foil just to throw away,

IMG_4261.jpg

After the trim and hood were painted I taped over all the trim.

20140722_101442_HDR.jpg

I cut ribbon then sprayed it with a little adhesive. I cut it into two pieces at an angle to simulate a cabon weave design.

IMG_4268.jpg

I laid two sided tape along the sides and front of the hood and put a piece under the vents and along the back of the hood to help hold down the ribbon. Then tucked it along the contours. the adhesive held just enough!

IMG_4270.jpg

After a light coat of a dark metallic grey I had a nice carbon fiber like pattern. The pattern didn't show up as great in some areas but I think the process yielded a convincing carbon fiber hood.

20140804_101628_HDR.jpg

On to clear coat and polishing. should be finishing the EVO soon!

Edited by Toast

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, I'm learning a few new techniques on the few projects I have on my bench right now.

The first coat of clear gave the hood much more contrast and helped show off the carbon fiber pattern.

20140831_222503_HDR.jpg

I'm getting all the clear parts and body accessories ready to go on this kit and hopefully wrap it up soon.

Edited by Toast

She's close to finished!

Attached the lights and grill screen.

IMG_4700.jpg

Got to use my new tool I found at the hobby shop. I really like it, simple but effective!

2a6d72c0-812a-44e1-bc45-442f046eff93.jpg

The window just falls into place! All I had to do was run a small bead of glue around the edges.

2f234a18-e56b-4566-ba24-30b6680df12a.jpg

Assembled the wing and glued that into place, as well as the tail lights. Finally a little more color to this model!

IMG_4694.jpg

This is my favorite part so far, the hood screen with the engine vents underneath. such a cool detail!

20140910_193523.jpg

Next photos should be in the "Under Glass" section!