Model Cars Magazine Forum

Matchbox 1/32 Packard Victoria refurb

wkennerley

Thanks All, your comments are much appeciated.

Skydime, it is not a bad kit all all, I did have to replace some of the moulding along the sides (and there wasn't any along the bonnet, so I added that) - I should have added door handles but couldn't find anything suitable at that scale, so they will just be as on the kit.

1/32.... now you're talking my scale! You are really doing this one justice......... could almost be 1/24 with that smoooooth paint! The Matchbox 1/32 series had some great models... Jag SS100, MG TC, Rolls Royce and some awesome early race cars. Most are still available on Ebay for reasonable prices. My only "beef" with a lot of them was the clunky looking wire wheels... but the Packard was an exception to that.

It's a shame that the range was somewhat limited in subject matter, and that they stopped making them. But I guess that's just a matter of supply and demand, I may have to dig some of mine out of their hiding places and do what you are doing!

I'm going to be watching this with a great deal of interest.

Tony

Thanks Tony, yes they had quite a few interesting cars, I remembers having the SS100 and I think the Aston Martin was by Matchbox too. I have a few 1/32 kits but they are mostly by Airfix - I will eventualyl track down a few more matchbox, though I see there is a Packard on UK eBay for £25, way too much for me - Not that I would buy another Packard, I just searched it out of interest

Wayne

Nice job cleaning up the mismatch between the cowl and bonnet. Also, the extension of the trim moulding is an impressive feat, considering the scale.

I recently built in this scale for the first time, and found it suprisingly relaxing; no worries about picking out every nut, bolt and fitting.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one fares in your capable hands.

Thanks Johann, I nearly missed the fact that the trim moulding was missing on the bonnet - I am also finding this scale quite interesting - I have a Ferrari 250LM that I built a few years ago, but its not as nice a kit as this - Wish I still had my Matchbox Mercedes and Aston Martin, but only pieces survive, but they wil lbe used in the Restoration Shop Diorama - I have Airfix Alfa Romeo and Bugatti T35 plus a SMER Stutz raceabout to build later

Wayne

Hi Skip, I have a Pyro T59 coming my way sometime, I will try acquire a matchbox engine for it.

Wayne

Please let me know what information you need, because I have a ton of information on this car. The Pyro kit is based on a one-of-a-kind road-going version adapted by Rodney Clarke of England and later owned by a New Yorker named Ludington, before it was returned to its original Grand Prix state. This is the same car as the Bburago diecast with the fenders (supposedly 1:18 but closer to 1:15).

T5959124postcardcopy.jpg

BugattiT59fenders.png

The biggest issue with making this an accurate kit is trying to replicate the unique piano wire wheels (T59 Bugattis did not have regular wire wheels). The only source I know is for the larger-scale,Bburago version, which is very nice and offers a front axle with the proper camber (I think the camber is correct on the Pyro kit).

Edited by sjordan2

Thanks Skip, I will certainly get back to you re the Bugatti once I get it. For the moment think I may just build up the car as per the kit, I can't face trying to make those piano wire wheels!! Though one could try drill out the rims and thread through some fishing line, once painted it may look quite good.

Wayne

I have both the Pyro and Matchbox Bugatti T59's. Both suffer from those wire wheels! I tried the aftermarket (slot cars) to see if any realistic replicas were available... but no luck so far.

The Matchbox body is far more detailed than the Pyro one and makes into a better model IMHO. The tail section on the Pyro kit is missing the underside and needs some scratch building to fill the empty space.

Tony

These wheels from Le Mans Miniatures look pretty good. Don't know anything beyond what you see here. The page says they're out of stock, but you might check info@minichampsna.com, who is listed as a distributor.

http://www.lemansminiatures.com/uk/produit.php?idproduit=665&sessionid=390313447526a9dac82e50

EDIT: They appear to be available here for only $12.98. PS: These are for the Bugatti 57G "Tank" slot car, but look the same. I just ordered a set for my kit.

http://www.ncphobbies.com/lemans-tires-1/32-slot-car-tires/lemans-lm-spa132020-set-of-wheels-for-bugatti-57-g-1-front-rear-axle-4-wheels-slot-car/lm-spa13

Edited by sjordan2

Before we return to the Packard restoration: One more thought on the wire wheel replacements for the Bugatti. It just occurred to me that the kits require 5 wheels, since there is a side-mounted spare. Let me receive the set I ordered and I'll let you know if it's worth it.

Thanks Skip, I will wait to see what they are like.

Back to the Packard, I have applied another coat of paint, it is looking good, pics once the paint has dried - Wheels are assembled so should be able to start assembling the rest of the car.

Wayne

A bit of progress, started re-assembling the car, I see the bonnet won't line up properly now, not sure what happened there and the front axle is a bit off, it had broken so I must have mis aligned it a bit - I do have most of another kit available, so will probably build that to get a nicer 2nd car.

Wayne

IMG_3437.jpgIMG_3438.jpg

My hobby shop has a number of the 1/32 scale Lindberg kits. They have not moved in many years, so I picked up the 34 Ford 3-window. These were he models of my childhood, multiple piece bodies, no chrome no rubber tires. Very small. Great for pre-teen hands, I suppose. Super-glue should address the multipiece piece body, other techniques learned over the years should help too. Great job on the Packard, the smaller size means more shelve room (and more of the large classic cars)? Thanks for Sharing. I so want to chop the 34...

Hi Walter, wish my local hobby shop had lindberg kits, they are not easy to get here - The 34 Ford sounds just right for chopping. I am hoping to get a Pyro Chevie Cabriolet that I could use for a rat rod? Or maybe just build it standard for now.

Wayne