Model Cars Magazine Forum

Got started on the 03' Rubicon last week, first coats of paint on the body, smoothing, and sanding, and filling and sanding some more. Body color is Testors metallic black. My thoughts are to do a black on black jeep. Got the transfer case glued together, and the front seats primed and sanded as well as the floor panels. The once chrome wheels are drying in the paint booth, as well as the front and rear diff, axels and sway bars. Will post more picks as it comes along.

Comments and friendly criticism is always welcome!

Amanda

post-12661-0-49110300-1382592784_thumb.j

post-12661-0-00464000-1382592820_thumb.j

post-12661-0-15640400-1382592837_thumb.j

post-12661-0-51526300-1382592852_thumb.j

There are still a couple of things irking me on the body paint. A drip spot on the door panel that I won't be able to look past, and I've decided after painting to remove the raised jeep logo's from the front quarter panels. So tonight will start the paint removal process, (I have brake fluid on hand, so will try that route. I hear it works pretty well) and then get out the dremel with a small diamond abrasive bit to remove the logos.

The chassis, diff's, sway bars and axels will be ready to pull from the paint booth by the time I get home from work tonight so I will work on getting that together, as well as the wheels. See if we can't get her into a rolling frame tonight. :)

Thanks for all the great feedback guys, it is much appreciated.

I've decided after painting to remove the raised jeep logo's from the front quarter panels.

Just wondering why you wanted to remove the raised area where the 'Jeep' decal goes Amanda? This is correct per the 1:1. Older Jeeps had the steel embossed to where you could actually read 'Jeep' without a decal, whereas TJs had kinda like 'Joop' stamping, requiring a decal:

$(KGrHqVHJBUE63VVJTOcBOy7h+Y,F!~~60_35.J

Just wondering why you wanted to remove the raised area where the 'Jeep' decal goes Amanda? This is correct per the 1:1. Older Jeeps had the steel embossed to where you could actually read 'Jeep' without a decal, whereas TJs had kinda like 'Joop' stamping, requiring a decal:

$(KGrHqVHJBUE63VVJTOcBOy7h+Y,F!~~60_35.J

The paint was pooling up around it, and made it look sloppy. But that could just be painters error. I will take a look at it after I remove the current paint and prep it for a second try.

My buddy has a nice lifted 1:1 jeep rubicon, that I am kind of styling this one after. His has flat quarter panels, though its newer than 03', 2011 I think.

Rattle can...though, shhhhhh. I just picked up an early birthday present on my way home from work. Airbrush and compressor. I have a bunch of cleanup to do before this weekend. (I have to get my workspace into the spare room, so that we can eat at the table.) :)

I can hardly wait to get out to the paint booth to play.

Wasnt able to get to rolling chassis tonight, but did get the frame, axels and suspension put together. Also finished the new work bench so I could get the dining room table back to dining status.

Started sanding the body, (I got the blob worked out so I wont have to pull paint). ;)

Got it into rolling chassis state last night, I had a hard time getting the wheels together, but they finally sunk into place. Also got the drivers seat filled and sanded. The passenger seat is in the background there, filled and waiting to be sanded.

We went out to the LHS yesterday, spent too much money and came home with some new toys. Still on the hunt for black flocking...they were out. The local michaels coupon comes out today, so I will try for some craft flocking there.

post-12661-0-58318800-1382800802_thumb.j

Got it into rolling chassis state last night, I had a hard time getting the wheels together, but they finally sunk into place. Also got the drivers seat filled and sanded. The passenger seat is in the background there, filled and waiting to be sanded.

We went out to the LHS yesterday, spent too much money and came home with some new toys. Still on the hunt for black flocking...they were out. The local michaels coupon comes out today, so I will try for some craft flocking there.

I use embossing powder from Michels

Its been a few days since my last update, I did finally decide on the embossing powder for the flooring, and it turned out great. The body is coming together. I had my first experience with water slide decals and it went okay. I coated the top of the gauge cluster with future and am happy with the results. The build really feels like it is starting to come together. ..finally. I decided to scrap the back seat, and build a custom subwoofer box, that will be wired to an ipod nano that fits under the frame for sound. I will have pics of that part of the build soon hopefully.

post-12661-0-76967000-1383436709_thumb.j

post-12661-0-20488800-1383436722_thumb.j

Just about finished, I opted to scrap the subwoofer box due to some scale and fit problems. One of the step rails was bent on the sprue so I decided to skip those, and I have some finish work on the door panel diamond plate, but otherwise she is done. post-12661-0-46199900-1383890111_thumb.jpost-12661-0-38658100-1383890142_thumb.jpost-12661-0-36187400-1383890156_thumb.jpost-12661-0-41014100-1383890171_thumb.j