Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's Ford F350 pickups

mk11

Both the D60 and D44 do show up on the original F100 option sheets with the same 3300 lb rating as the 9 inch. I've only seen three myself so I can understand the doubt. Just another option choice like a radio, dash pad delete or a 390.

mike

• 2 weeks later...

A thing to watch out for with the reissue-

I have three of the new Super Stones reissue, and not a good windshield between the three. One was short shot, and the other two are warped- it's like the top right corner is dented in. It will still fit into the opening, but the wing vents won't quite touch the posts unless you cut them off and install them separately.

Just something to be mindful of!

How much of this kit is parts that were in the Star Truk/Boonie Boss versions? Not a truck expert here but would like to know.

Jake, check out posts 1, 32 and 50 in this thread. All the trucks in this series shared about 95% of the same parts, with various accessories added and subtracted over the run. Thus it has all the chassis and body parts of the Star Truk with the exception of grill, front bumper and chrome mags/accessories. It has the Boonie Boss wheels/tires and all the basic chassis and body parts from it except the grill, unique exhaust, driving lights and roll bar.

mike

Edited by mk11

Question-

Think there'd be any interest in a '78 Custom (base model) grille for this thing?

1978grille_zpsb74cd1d1.jpg

Open up the grille and it will be a sure winner! Nice work!

Yes. I was planning on doing that conversion someday myself. Project number 2,034! Yea, I'll never get to it!

I thought the same thing. Then I got the Super Stones reissue. Then I remembered I had some Accu Pro Ford dually wheels. Then I remembered I had a Spaulding service truck body. Then I remembered I had some Ford Competition Orange paint and, well...

005_zps1e0518d3.jpg

Chuck,

If you had two toned that paint job with some white it could have been an U-Haul service truck!

Nice job on it, you got me thinking this could be an option for one of those Modelhaus utility bodies sitting in the stash.

Actually did both, Tom. Raising the windshield opening is the first thing I do when I build this kit anymore.]

Mike- I actually did consider doing it as a U-Haul rig, but settled for something more like the city truck my hometown used up until a few years back.

I thought the same thing. Then I got the Super Stones reissue. Then I remembered I had some Accu Pro Ford dually wheels. Then I remembered I had a Spaulding service truck body. Then I remembered I had some Ford Competition Orange paint and, well...

005_zps1e0518d3.jpg

Chuck - that is one sharp kitbash! Way, way cool. TIM

And then I've got this '75, which other than the wheels and tires and grille will probably be box stock otherwise. Get with VCG Resins if you want that grille. :rolleyes: Just using it will make the SCS wheelbase/bed, FE engine, and divorced transfer case correct... just remember to remove the model badging from the cowl and use what AMT provides as the '78's rear bumper on the front instead.

018_zps24845274.jpg

Both trucks are two wheel drive- the tires on the '78 came from an AMT '91 Chevy C1000 Sportside, with an extra pair stolen from the Phantom Ford van kit. The '75 wheels are from the Revell '77 GMC with snow plow, and I think the tires are from a Revell '49 Mercury.

Finally found my old Hot Rod mag...

PB114032

PB114027

PB114026

PB114035

Rather disappointing to find only a black and white feature with so little detail. Sooo, where is it now?

mike

Edited by mk11

If you want a good example of how this kit will look built purely out of the box, I dug out the Model King reissue I built when it came out back in 2006-

001_zps3f099e77.jpg

There are a few differences- the Model King issue included the F350 Ranger badge decals for the cowl- the Super Stones reissue does not. The big open notches in the front bumper are now filled in. The slight molding defect in the upper right corner of the windshield (almost looks like a shallow dent) is present on the Model King kit as well, guess I must not have noticed it back then.

That looks nice Chuck! My dad bought a new '75 F-100 2wd in the fall of '74 that was almost that same color on top. I have the '73-'75 to build a replica of it someday. I just gotta change the wheel base and add the three on the tree.

Interesting thread guys!

I seriously need to pull my finger out and finish this one I started a few years ago, got a trophy for best unfinished, but still heaps more to do.

The chassis has been totally reworked and slammed....with the help of another forum member 'Coolhand'.

It's the F350 Ranger kit by AMT/ Matchbox.

IMGP6113-1.jpg

DSC00331-Copy.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00334-Copy.jpg

DSC00337.jpg