Model Cars Magazine Forum

Missing Parts???

I recently started an AMT kit of a '62 T-bird convertible. It looked like it would be a great build with lots of detail not normally seen in their kits (heater hoses, separate wipers, great looking white walls with nice wire wheel covers, etc.). As I normally do, I googled everything to do with the build on the computer. Then I went through the parts, cleaning any flash from them, and started painting. I had the chassis painted and was painting the suspension pieces when I realized that the whole lower front suspension (moulded in one piece) was missing. :) I had just opened the kit, so the missing part was obviously the manufacturer's fault. Back to Wal-Mart I go, hoping to score an exchange on the same kit. As luck would have it, they didn't have anymore, although I did manage to exchange it for another kit I had been looking for. I was wondering how often you guys run across the problem of missing parts in new kits. This is the second time it's happened to me in the last couple of years. :(

With AMT alot.

Ever since they moved production from Iowa the quality has gone down.

The biggest problem is I get a lot of AMT kits that are short shot.

The 67 Shelby that I am using for Eleanor has a bunch of short shot interior parts - I thought they (AMT) took care of this problem.

I have had some AMT kits that are missing clear trees, wheel sets (not just like one but all of them) decals and had warped kits that are simply unbuildable.

I had that happen to me with a later run factory sealed Jo-Han 68 Plymouth police car kit; the entire chrome tree was missing (grills, bumpers, roof lights, etc.). Unfortunately I bought it after they went out of business so there was no way to get a replacement. Luckily I do have a second kit that is complete, I might have to try resin casting the missing parts for the first kit.

D

I bought the same AMT 62 T-bird kit and mine was missing the whitewall inserts , so I figure I will use some old parts box tires and wheels and make some sort of mild street rod. I still look in the box every now and then hoping the whitewalls will magically show up. Not yet. :)