Model Cars Magazine Forum

I found these fenders in the bottom of a LARGE box of parts I got from a friend and thought they would be good for a build.

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

So I dug out more spare parts from the same box and here is what I have after about 30 minutes.

Now to find the rest of it and come up with a plan. Possibly the grille from something like the Testors Coupster kits. I'm thinking a heavily modified show truck. What do you see? Give me some ideas.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I am pretty sure that they are Auburn fenders. As I was looking at them last night I could see the exhaust holes had been plugged.

That idea of the lobster tail sounds funny. I had also thought last night that the fenders looked like claws.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm not sure how much steady progress I will make on this. It just started on a whim.

Later-

Thought for driveline.....

Grab a '41 Plymouth flathead six and rig up a supercharger similar to the Graham Cavalier. Make this extra special different!

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/new/171110/1937%20Graham/1937%20Graham%20Brochure-03.html

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/new/171110/1937%20Graham/1937%20Graham%20Brochure-08.html

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

The genesis of your inspiration is fascinating in itself. :lol:

The shape of the fenders at the front, with the way you have them mounted, looks like it would accommodate the original '40 grille quite nicely.

I agree that it needs a very special engine. Perhaps an Off'y, with the exhaust exiting through the original holes in the Auburn fenders?

Edited by Shardik

What if you used the Smoothster style grille in it. Cut the hood in half basically and having the grille mate with the hood. Make the hood a flatter piece like the Smoothster. Give it a modern kustom look...

Kind of what I did here, just don't blend the grille work back into the door like I did.

bluemango001.jpg

I am a Studebaker freak. Drive a 1:1 everyday. My first thought when I looked at this grouping was a full frontal fender wrap at the tip of the grill. Get on the web and look up the front of a 34 Stude. Maybe a 34 Ford grill would work in the midst of everything. I can also see a chopped top with an "A-pillar" front rake. I really like the overall idea. D

Doug-

Not a bad idea with the front wrap around. I like that look. I really wanted the front fenders to be very pronounced. I also am sure there will be a chop top with a slight rake.

Last night I did a little work on filling the gaps in the hood. We will see where this one goes.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Charlie-

The more I look at that Graham supercharger the more I like that idea. I had planned some sort of straight eight in it since the bay is so long and narrow. I wanted to find one for trade (the Auburn Speedster is the only one that comes to mind in kit form). Perhaps I can scratchbuild a close approximation to the supercharger from those pictures you shared. Thanks. Anyone have any leads on a straight eight or have a built up Auburn that they want to swap?

I have been trying to fill in all of the gaps in the fit between the hood and fenders and I have the gash at the rear of the cab roughly filled in so far.

Later-

Got a bit done tonight. I chopped the top with a bit of rake.

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

I cleaned up the holes in the cab and after trying a few times unsuccessfully to fill in the sides of the hood to mate up with the fenders I cut the hood sides off. I cut them with a curve to follow the shape of the fenders.

IMAG0202-1.jpg

IMAG0201-1.jpg

Lastly I began the work of connecting the fenders together under the grille.

It is going to be a chore , but I am going to make my own grille. I tried the grille from the Wagonrod kit out of curiosity. Not even close. I bought some thin steel rod yesterday. I may try using that with some brass strips. We will see.

Later-

Charlie-

The more I look at that Graham supercharger the more I like that idea. I had planned some sort of straight eight in it since the bay is so long and narrow. I wanted to find one for trade (the Auburn Speedster is the only one that comes to mind in kit form). Perhaps I can scratchbuild a close approximation to the supercharger from those pictures you shared. Thanks. Anyone have any leads on a straight eight or have a built up Auburn that they want to swap?

I have been trying to fill in all of the gaps in the fit between the hood and fenders and I have the gash at the rear of the cab roughly filled in so far.

Later-

Tom,

A couple of ideas re: a straight 8.

1. You could, with little trouble, cobble one up out of two of the Plymouth 6s, to replicate the Chrysler unit.

2. Ron Royston (username here ronr) and Ken Kitchen both offer a nice variety of straight-8s in resin. Ron has a Buick, and Ken has a Buick and Pontiac. You might also be able to make two of Ken's Olds Big Six magically morph into the 257 straight 8, see if he might be willing to include an extra block/head/intake/exhaust manifold.

The blower would work well with any of those engines, and would add a special touch of wonder, especially if used with the Buick engine, which was a fairly powerful motor and that would make it especially so.

The supercharger used on the Graham is actually pretty close to the ones that A-C-D used on their straight-8s, and I think the Auburn kit has one already, so if it does, you're in luck.

Charlie Larkln

I would respectfully suggest you mock up some tires under this before you go much further committing to bodywork. It has always worked best for me, in building real 1:1 cars as well as models, to establish the stance first, and then build the body to accommodate that. It doesn't work so well doing things in the reverse order. Again, just a suggestion to help avoid disappointment and substantial rework down the road.

I do have several Auburn (Lindberg / Pyro) engines in various conditions, if you're still looking.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy