Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is there a rare old kit that you can't resist buying multiples of?

AMT '58 Ford! Lack of more disposable income, and intimate knowledge of the work involved to make an accurate model from it, prevents me from further attempts to corner the market!

Had two 1/1s, plus Mom & Dad had a two-door wagon when I was a kid.

Blue58_4-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

Johan 1969 Road runners ( i've got 5 or 6 )

Johan Sox and Martin 1971 Cuda ( I think I have 4 or 5 )

Johan 1963 Dodge 330's ( i've got 2 and actively looking for more - all builtups )

Johan 1962 Dodge AND 1962 Plymouths ( I have 2 or 3 of ea)

MPC Barry Setzer Vega funnycar ( I think I have 3 or 4 - all builtups )

MPC Datsun pickups. I just like the looks of the 1:1 truck. I think I've got every issue except for the second (stepside) drag version, and the monster truck (which I don't particularly want). I bought the first ('75) annual on closeout not realizing how well done the kit is (the box art doesn't really clue you in). The Dodge D-50 kit is probably just as good, but for some reason that one doesn't do it for me (though I've got a couple of them).

Over the years, other kits have seemed to "find" me: MPC '33 Chevy panels, AMT '28 Ford sedans, AMT '69 El Caminos. Most of these were "builders", but were extremely cheap and in most cases had the unique parts (all three of these share a lot of parts with other kits that have been issued many times, and can be found reasonably). I've brought home a lot of Mustang IIs (both AMT and MPC) too; it's not a car I'd ever own in 1:1, but I like the looks of them. I'll look at every AMC-related kit I spot at a show, too...

I can't seem to pass up reasonably priced vintage parts lots. you know the ones that haven't been touched since the sixties. there is just some thing about finding the parts that particular person didn't use or was hoarding ,seeing how they organized or approached building models. And it's probably a reminder that I should put those cool parts to good use. I also like all the extras like people , tools ,guns ,figures , surf boards, motorcycles ,minibikes and scuba gear.

For a period of time, I bought every 1st or 2nd issue JoHan "Chrysler Turbine Car" that I could get my hands on.

I probably have about a dozen (not counting the later "Seville" reissues).

I got the first and second edition of this kit an also a later flashy edition, just because I learned that it was the ultimate engineered kit by John Haendle, a guy who I would loved to have talked with.