Model Cars Magazine Forum

49' Mercury Custom Coupe - First Solo Kit

LogTripper

Well, after getting frustrated with the WWII Jeep that Jeepgirl and I started... I've picked another victim... a 49' Merc... I love the look of the body. I've been taking my time and reading a lot in the forums before I even opened the kit. So far I've sanded some of the mold lines on the body and scribed out the door panels a little. I did my first set of primed parts this morning... first time I've ever used primer!

I have a ton to learn so any feedback would be great. I just snapped a couple pictures with my phone to document my build. The next steps will have better pictures! post-12678-0-89002800-1383033189_thumb.jpost-12678-0-13365400-1383033188_thumb.j

Hey Heather… looks like we are partners in the 49 merc club at the moment. Although mine is modified pretty heavily I can tell you the kit is VERY well done. Relax and enjoy the build. If you're patient and take your time it will go smooth. I found everything to fit very well and got together smooth. These things look AWESOME on the shelf when finished up.

Dave

I deviated from the listed engine colors... mostly because I didn't want a gold engine... not being too familiar with them I just decided to stick with gloss black, flat black and flat steel... hopefully the engine will still look good enough.

Here is a picture of what I've got glued together so far... I think after I get most of it together I'll do some touch ups on the paint, since it appears I was a tad too impatient and it was slightly sticky when I was picking up the main section.

post-12678-0-77586100-1383080429_thumb.j

I had typed up a nice description but my cell phone bugged out and deleted it all. I've got the engine mounted and my suspension in place. I had some issues with the tires and getting them on all the way... the front tires are a little wobbly and in trying to force them on I popped some of my other glued parts off... so, some repair work had to be done.

The body has its first coat of flat black. I've sanded it and will be doing a second coat. I'm also trying to finalize my ideas for the interior. I want to make it look good so I'm trying to narrow down my options. The seats look like they're set up to look better in two-tones... and I'm trying to decide on the best way to take care of the dash...

More pictures coming after I get my floor and interior done!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working on this kit off and on... got to a point where I just couldn't make up my mind about how to paint certain aspects...

Interior is complete, seats have been attached... now I'm just trying to find my confidence in applying my decals to the dash... once that's done then the car is almost complete.

In the mean time I started a 50's chevy truck... that has been its own challenge!

Looking very cool. I love the old school look.

If you're feeling a little courageous, you could try a little black wash on the weels to give them a bit more depth and realism. I use oil paint thinned with turpanoid to the point that it looks just like slightly dirty thinner, for this purpose. It works great for engines too.