Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT All Stars '32 Ford question

ChrisBcritter

I've been looking up the 1/32 AMT All Stars kits lately, and I have a question: All the kits except the '32 Ford 3-window coupe have a 1/25 AMT counterpart. Did AMT have plans to release a 1/25 three-window in the mid-sixties that got canceled? Also, if anyone has one of these All Stars coupes, does it have the same body issue that all the 1/25 AMT '32 Fords have ("sectioned" on the sides)?

img007.jpg

Chris , I forget the man's name now . It's just been too many years and too many hobby stores ago. Point is , I was told by a wholesaler that A M T had had expressed an interest in doing several other 1-32nd kits in addition to expanding a few potential 1-25th scale offerings too. That was right near the time that the Union and A M T got a divorce ...............

Let's see. I had the '61 Ranchero when I was a kid (not seen here). I have the '40 Ford sedan molded in white (the Pyro '40 Tudor looks like it was cribbed from this one!), the '60 T-bird, and I had an Avanti but it looks like it got left behind in my move last year like many of my other models. Nice kits all.

Let's see. I had the '61 Ranchero when I was a kid (not seen here). I have the '40 Ford sedan molded in white (the Pyro '40 Tudor looks like it was cribbed from this one!), the '60 T-bird, and I had an Avanti but it looks like it got left behind in my move last year like many of my other models. Nice kits all.

Pyro didn't do a '40 Tudor (they did a coupe and a convertible), but Palmer did. It does look like a crib of the AMT All-Stars kit, though...wheels/tires are a dead giveaway. The Palmer kit is noticeably larger than Pyro's "1/32 scale" '40 convertible...

I have the Ranchero too

And the 63 Vette & Avanti.

Would Love to get that 60 Thunderbird!!

I had 4 of these Wayback as a Cereal mail in!!!!\

2 sets of 2 kits!!

1 each of the Vette & Avanti are all I have left of them

Would not be surprised if the T-Bird & Ranchero were the other 2 I had then!!

Pyro didn't do a '40 Tudor (they did a coupe and a convertible), but Palmer did. It does look like a crib of the AMT All-Stars kit, though...wheels/tires are a dead giveaway. The Palmer kit is noticeably larger than Pyro's "1/32 scale" '40 convertible...

Palmer? Hmm. I thought for sure it was Pyro, but then again I bought it back in the summer of 1974 so I could be wrong. It was molded in red and didn't have any chromed parts; I built it as a jalopy racer. Did anyone else issue the Palmer kit? (Lindberg?)

Would Love to get that 60 Thunderbird!!

PM me - you might catch me in a weak moment if you want to trade something!

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• 4 years later...
On 10/30/2013 at 10:38 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Also, if anyone has one of these All Stars coupes, does it have the same body issue that all the 1/25 AMT '32 Fords have ("sectioned" on the sides)?

I can't seem to find the picture I saved from long ago, and can't currently find any images of the body shell from the side, so hopefully someone has thus kit in their stash and is willing to take a side-view picture or two for you, Chris.

s-l1600%2056.jpg

32as2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Yes, the 1/32 scale Tudor is definitely a Palmer.  I have both the AMT and Palmer Tudors.  The AMT has a one piece body while the Palmer is three piece just like a Pyro.

And while we are at it, both the Pyro 1/32 scale 32 roadster and 32 3 window coupe (ugh!) are very similar to the 1/25th AMT kits - there is a hint of a section and the chassis is a straight copy down to the lack of fuel tank and the stub of exhaust going over the crossmember.

Cheers

Alan