Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg 1/32 70's Kits

Erik Smith

I just checked the '72 El Camino.  Both front fenders have deep sink marks just behind the parking lights.  It also has a '73 El Camino rear bumper with the built-in taillights!  The tires and wheels are way larger than they should be, but the body proportions are pretty good.  The wheelbase is about 2 25/32", length 5", width 1 7/8".  The real dimensions are: 116" wheelbase, length 206.8", width 75.4".  I was shocked at how small it is.  The scale is roughly 1/41. 

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

We need this in 1/25 scale along with the LTD II Sport

If you have some funds available, and you are willing to bid on eBay (when these kits are ready), you can own one.  I would love to get my hands on one too (I owned a '77 T-Bird).

NEO also made a built-up 1:43 resin model of a '79.

1-43-neo-ford-thunderbird-44782-31.jpg

Edited by peteski

• 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, Casey said:

I have to believe those molds were among the booty Atlantis acquired from Round2.

It's a good question, Casey. Personally, I think that Round2 kept the car and sci-fi kits, and sold the old aircraft, ship, and educational models to Atlantis. The subject matter is a bit more in line with what both companies offer to their customers.

17 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

Personally, I think that Round2 kept the car and sci-fi kits, and sold the old aircraft, ship, and educational models to Atlantis. The subject matter is a bit more in line with what both companies offer to their customers.

I have my doubts they kept much of anything Lindberg related, at least on the automotive side of things. The 1/16 T-based kit(s) for sure, but the Mini Lindys and 1/32 scale kits are a bit crude for the audience Round2 seems to be aiming for, so I'm not sure how much value they see in the Lindberg 1/32 scale kits.

Lindberg was never viewed as a top shelf kit manufacturer, and when you factor in the 1/20 scale-heavy '90s offerings and you've got some very odd, so-so accuracy kits/molds which might sell to the unsuspecting consumer at a mass retailer. Round2 is well aware of AMT's far superior brand recognition, and they've selected a few '90s era Lindberg kits ('64 Plymouth Belvedere, '64 Dodge 440 Sedan, etc.) to re-brand as AMT kits, but so far, no '70s era Lindberg kits have appeared, save for the 1/16 Bullhorn T/Serpent (which is actually a Pyro kit). I don't think we've seen a Lindberg branded automotive kit since the 1966 Chevelle SS reissue from 2015?

35 minutes ago, Motor City said:

They reissued the '52 Chevy developed by Pyro and - if I'm not mistaken here - boxed as a Lindberg model.  It's a 1/32 scale model car, so I would expect to see more of these issued if the tooling is in decent shape.

Those ('49 Ford Tudor, etc.) were released when the Lindberg brand was still under J Lloyd ownership,  in 2006 or so, pre-Round2.

To be fair, Round2 did give this double kit a try, what, maybe five years ago?:

lind.jpg.3aae2169cb53e916973fa7679f37f7d2.jpg