Model Cars Magazine Forum

New member here..

Hey y'all my name is Darren and I'm a new member from South Florida. I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this intro, if not my apologies in advance! I am currently waiting my first ever truck model kit in the mail. My builds in the past have mostly been 1:12 motorcycles and various military kits. I am a heavy haul driver(which will be my focus for now in scale models) for a crane rental company, but I never put two and two together and realized there was such an awesome community that builds big rigs. I look forward to getting to know this forums members and picking up tips/advice on future builds! Some amazing build on this site fellas..

I bought the Revell "Bill Signs" Peterbilt. Since this is my main interest I wanted to do a heavy haul tractor. I was looking something with a lift third axle, set back front axle,day cab, float front tires, bang board, etc..Since I couldn't find something with these options(I had no idea about all the after market custom parts available) The Bill Signs unit looked pretty tricked out! I'm still undecided wether to do a 1:1 or customizing it?

• Welcome! If you are doing the heavy haul Pete, take a look see as one of the guys just finished up an incredible one.

You will find everyone really helpful and encouraging. I am no "master" but these guys have always been willing to assist and have taken me way up the quality ladder.

Welcome on board Darren.

Bill Signs is nice truck to build. If you go out of box or 1:1 like you said, it is not correct replica in all aspects but still it is a nice model. You can do whatever modifications to it and make it a truck of your desire. The situation in truck modeling is a bit more complicated than you are probably used to in 1:35 scale military models. The choice of kits is not that wide and most of them represent trucks of the past. I am not much familiar with the offer of aftermarket parts in the U.S. but I have seen some nice goodies.

Be prepared for a lot of cleaning work as some kits came into being decades ago.

Take a look at tips section and if there is anything you would like to know, just ask. I am sure the guys here are willing to help.

On the other hand, since you are truck driver, we may ask you, from time to time, how the things are done on real truck.

Have nice building days.

Thanks guys for the introductions! I am probably leaning towards doing my own spin on things for the Bill Signs Peterbilt kit I am expecting in the mail. Like choosing different colors and decals(which I've read are out there I just can't locate them on the web?) all suggestions more then welcome! Alittle background on me..My driving trucks started 20 years ago in the United States Marine Corps. My marine occupational specialty(MOS) was 3533. This is above and beyond the standard "motor t" rating, as this MOS is an LVS( logistics vehicle systems) operator

which is basically an all terrain tractor trailer that consists of a power unit with various detachable "modules" depending on the mission. I encourage all members to do a google search on this vehicle, it's a pretty amazing rig! I know I'm putting the cart before the horse, but I have been searching for a modern "lowboy" kit. I don't think my modeling skills are up to task to scratch build some of these trailers I've seen on this site! Do any of these scratch builders offer instructions or full kits for sale? Or is there a kit from a manufacture out there that I couldn't find info about?

Welcome aboard, Darren....Man, I remember those great big Osh Kosh rigs and Dragon Wagons.....I was with H&S 2/5 from '86 to '92....Outstanding to see another former active duty Marine around here....You're really gonna love this site....Ever since I was introduced to this one, I've been learning a LOT...The guys are friendly and honest....I've traded stuff with several people, here and each one went down without a hitch....And try modeltruckin.com for decals....He's got a BUNCH of stuff, there....Once again, welcome aboard.....And a big ol' OORAH!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome Darren you may want to chat to Tim Ahlborn (mackinac359) He is a mine of info on peterbilts and a great modeler too.

Just a few things to be aware of when biulding the revell trucks . Just be carefull of the axel pins and the hood hinges they snap very easily . The Chrome will wear off if its handeled to much . But they are good kits and biuld into very accurate rigs . Hope to see pictures of your biuld soon