Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrushing clears

I have a bottle of Tamiya clear red and clear blue and just wanted to know if these should be thinned the same way as regular paint to airbrush? Also, I have a bottle of Testors Acryl clear flat and gloss tjat I would like to airbrush as well. A friend of mine used these and said they had a bluish tint when he sprayed them on. Is this normal? I have the correct Acryl thinner to use, but just not to sure on the mixing. Should I mix it like the paint or make it thinner? Thanks for the help.

Hey Jim, I worked a couple of times with those Tamiya clears. You don't need to thin them at all since they're already too thin,its almost liquid. Because of this you need to airbrush it at a lower pressure than you usually would with paint. Go

around 15-20 psi and don't forget to test it on spare parts first! (First time I shot this it came out like a fire hose :lol: ). Hope this helped you and have fun!

PS: A couple of coats of any Tamiya clear colors on a metallic basecoat looks awesome! Learned this in one of their kits instruction booklet!

Also, don't use their "smoke" clear to tint your windows,a lot of people had problems with this one,including myself.

Joel