Model Cars Magazine Forum

chassis #4153GT

Peter Lombardo

Tell me, who doesn’t love a Ferrari 250 GTO? One of the most iconic shapes in the automotive world and most likely the most famous Ferrari of all time, certainly the most expensive with one recently selling at auction for a cool 52 million (granted it was a 1963 model with the even more beautiful shape)but none the less, it is a 250 GTO. With only 39 examples produced and all handmade, each one is unique unto itself.

A while back while looking through a magazine I picked up on a variety of Ferrari’s I came across some beautifully done photos of 250 GTO chassis #4153GT. Here ia a shot I found on the internet....not as "classy" as the shots in the magazine, but this is the real car.

7e53389437.jpg

I think the thing that struck me was the fact that it wasn’t red, but a smoothly applied silver with a neat looking contrasting hood stripe in lemon yellow, running from front wheel opening to wheel opening and numberless white roundels. I thought to myself that this would make a nice model, and since I just picked up the Fujimi newly tooled version of the Ferrari 250 GTO, I was all set.

10658268584_2cd408b2b7.jpg

I built the car basically out of the box with just the addition of engine detailing and the unique paint. The real car does not appear to have the leather straps and buckles to close and hold the hood, but I left them on the model because I liked how they looked and besides, why couldn’t they be added to chassis #4153 after the photos were taken? Exactly, so they stayed.10658254316_78105fafa2.jpg

The front of the car was painted yellow and once dry, the stripe was masked off and the car was painted with Mopar Viper silver and once that was dry it was clear coated. I searched all through my decal collection and could not find any plain white roundels, so I was going to have to have some made. Once again I contacted my sign maker brother who has the equipment to cut vinyl for signs. I asked him to cut me few roundels out of white vinyl…….but being as anal as he is, he needed me to give him the exact circumference of the roundel or he wouldn’t make them. Looking for something to gauge the size I needed, I looked at a nickel and it seemed to be about the right size so I had him cut them to that size.

Since finishing the 250GTO, I built a Ferrari 360 Modena (Tamiya) and a F12 Berlinetta (Fujimi) and I figured they would also look interesting in the same paint scheme, so I now have a small stable of Ferrari’s with this paint. Both additional Ferraris were also built close to out of the box, just with aftermarket wheels and a small rear spoiler wing for the 360 and door hinges for the F12. 10658269134_06794fdde3.jpg

10658472703_920166b1a0.jpg

10658260016_b8864145b8.jpg

10658261594_79ab9786b1.jpg

10658267464_7d11c4d8b8.jpg

Wow Peter, this is what I hope to be able to build like some day, Stunning. Not sure which car I like the best, but , I guess it would have to be the 250 closely followed by the F12, which is surely a beaut. It would be great to see a shot of all three together, clearly. Thanks.

Gene

Very good work, but not everone is in too Ferraris. I for one is into American made cars. The Ferriaris are was to much to start with, like the Lambo's. Don't get to much excetted about that kind of car and couldn't less what they cost. More into the Woodies of the 40's and 50's hand made, and then the muscle cars of the 50's 60's and 70's some hand made. I think its all to your own taste as to what cars are great.