Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dinky

My next project will be another hotrod :D
0efq.jpg

Its a very early stage, got some off the parts from the sprue and engine glued. Now looking and thinking how to make it channeled ;)
Got some colors in mind but they might change so will tell later what I decided but it will be candy.

Edited by Dinky

After some time of hobbying this is the first setup of the chassis.
vvvr.jpg
kru1.jpg
The white plate is temporary there to keep the body in place :lol:
ju9l.jpg
fnfr.jpg
9jpb.jpg
Im happy so far for my first self build chassis :)
Too bad i don't have time for this the rest of the weekend :(

Nice so far. B):) Glad to see you hid the step behind the firewall (a pet peave of mine). I did one like this earlier this year based on the old pre-Roaster kit. I threw every lowering trick in the book at it and it turned out almost too low (see: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73674&page=2 and http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72032&hl= ). Looks like you are right in the pocket on this one. Looking forward to more. My only gripe with the Rat Roaster kit is that there's too much about it that draws you to its origins. Channeling helps this a lot. The interior is another "problem" because it's so unique. For various reasons like this I've begun a small stash of the older Highboy kit even though it has its own problems.

Nice so far. B):) Glad to see you hid the step behind the firewall (a pet peave of mine). I did one like this earlier this year based on the old pre-Roaster kit. I threw every lowering trick in the book at it and it turned out almost too low (see: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73674&page=2 and http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72032&hl= ). Looks like you are right in the pocket on this one. Looking forward to more. My only gripe with the Rat Roaster kit is that there's too much about it that draws you to its origins. Channeling helps this a lot. The interior is another "problem" because it's so unique. For various reasons like this I've begun a small stash of the older Highboy kit even though it has its own problems.

Thanks!

The step is hidden because i don't really like it, your Rod looks awesome, I really like the old style whitewall tires and the color is also very nice!

I like the stance, its low but not too much ;) The only thing I don't like from some old boxes are the molded belts in the seats, for some reason it does not fit those cars.

Your build is looking good so far, that kit looks like it has some really good parts in it.

Thanks Robert, It has for sure!

The only thing that does not fit the car when channeled is the firewall, the one from the earlier boxes is better if you ask me.

...The only thing that does not fit the car when channeled is the firewall, the one from the earlier boxes is better if you ask me.

If you have any old style firewalls I would save the Rat Roaster one for a highboy build. Why waste all that detail when you'll cut away half of it? Besides, you may need some of the space that the old style one provides for the back of the motor...

Edited by Bernard Kron

If you have any old style firewalls I would save the Rat Roaster one for a highboy build. Why waste all that detail when you'll cut away hald of it? Besides, you may need some of the space that the old style one provides for the back of the motor...

Thats the plan i had ;)

I bought a "new" Camaro funnycar kit on model exhibition two weeks ago and when I opened the box I found they already started it and that the parts where twisted (turned) from the sprue and the windows had scratches and loads off glue on multiple parts so I send it back and in place i get a really new 32 Ford (see pic).

I think that one has the deepened firewall.

mM9ihQm-wbHcJUgBOGbZWdA.jpg

That'll work. Most of the lower half will be gone anyway... For some reason those 3-window kits, at least here in the USA, are not desired by builders and can be had more frequently and cheaply than most other Revell Deuces. Perhaps it's because it's an early, "pure", Revell Deuce with only the small block Ford engine and "Torq Thrust" wheels. The older Good Guys/HIghboy Roadsters are becoming fairly uncommon and people are starting to ask real money for them. They are still generally available on e-Bay but are largely gone from the shops and model car shows. As a result I;ve begun a small stash of the "old" roadster to avoid the body and chassis modifications the Rat Roaster requires and to get a more universal interior. I still buy the 3-window when I can find it cheaply, as well. I use the frames from Revell Deuces quite a bit in my hot rod builds.

And thanx for the nice words on the lo-boy. :) I still think it landed up too low. Yours looks like it will sit just right.

I think it would look really nice if you sanded off the body reveal around the rear fender openings & used some appropriate sized half round stock to raise the line to match the radius of the rear tire a little better, just a little trick that will actually make the body look much closer to the ground visually.

I changed my mind and I used the original firewall :D

Dont like the other one at all, and I only had to cut the small pieces from this one and a tiny round where the gearbox is. I should remove little more but thats for tomorrow.

sgfa.jpg
I also raised the back just a little so this will be the final stance.
8l7z.jpg
To be continued B)

Because the body is lowered I had to change the floor with the tunnel for the gearbox and driveshaft

I cut the tunnel from the floor and raised it 5mm, the glue is not so decent but there will come carpet flakes on the floor and tunnel so should be good :-)

zjpf.jpg

zu84.jpg
l0s7.jpg
gno7.jpg