Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Chevelle 396 SS

Dave,

This is the only game in town. It's roots go back to the AMT annual kit in 1969 along with the promo. Builds nice with a little modern detailing. I recommend going to The Modelhaus for their rear bumper and red taillight lenses. The annual/promo is the only version of this kit with separate red taillight lenses. Model Car Garage makes a photo etch detail set for the Chevelle. If you want more chassis detail, swap out the chassis from an AMT 1969 Olds 442.

Marc

Thanks Marc. I'll hit up Modelhaus for their parts. Grabbed the PE sheet already.

It's going to match a 1:1 with 39k original miles. Will sit on a dash or seat or similar while the car is at shows. I'll have a full build thread.

Thanks again

Dave

Thanks Marc. I'll hit up Modelhaus for their parts. Grabbed the PE sheet already.

It's going to match a 1:1 with 39k original miles. Will sit on a dash or seat or similar while the car is at shows. I'll have a full build thread.

Thanks again

Dave

Don't leave any plastic model on the dash of a real car at a show. It will melt and warp in no time. A diecast is much better for that purpose. I believe Franklin Mint made a 1969 Chevelle SS396.

thanks for the tip Marc. Didn't think of that. I'll talk it through with my guy.

Thanks for the tip on the chrome Bob. I have access to the 1:1. I'll be sure to check for those things. Any other tips on possible inaccuracies would be great.

Dave

Any other tips on possible inaccuracies would be great.

AMT is reissuing the '69 convertible in the next dew months, so I'm assuming it will be much like the '69 hardtop kit, without any major changes.

That said, the chassis could use upgrading, so either the MPC/AMT '69 Olds Cutlass 442/Hurst Olds or the more recent Revell '72 Olds Cutlass kits could be the chassis donor for the '69 Chevelle. While you're at it, one of Revell's ('65, '66, '67 Chevelles/El Camino) or AMT's ('69 El Camino, '70 Monte Carlo) BBC's would be a big upgrade over the AMT '69 Chevelle's engine, too.

AMT is reissuing the '69 convertible in the next dew months, so I'm assuming it will be much like the '69 hardtop kit, without any major changes.

That said, the chassis could use upgrading, so either the MPC/AMT '69 Olds Cutlass 442/Hurst Olds or the more recent Revell '72 Olds Cutlass kits could be the chassis donor for the '69 Chevelle. While you're at it, one of Revell's ('65, '66, '67 Chevelles/El Camino) or AMT's ('69 El Camino, '70 Monte Carlo) BBC's would be a big upgrade over the AMT '69 Chevelle's engine, too.

Um… What is the Revell BBC? Big Block Chevy engine? 70 MC would be great. I have a different engine for that rig anyway...

I bought a box of partially built models car years ago and this one was in it. I just took a look into a few years back to see if there was anything I could use fir future projects and I couldn't see anything. There was something funky going on with the taillight bezels. The engine is basic. The bucket seats and console are all one piece. If you can get one cheap enough..buy it, build it. This might have been state of art in 1969, but dated now.

Yes, don't display the model in a show car outside...bad juju. On the body, as the 69 is just a modification of their 68 Chevelle, the side chrome trim and the side marker lights are wrong for a 69, although the latest version I think had some correction done on the side lights. Still have to examine pics of a real car to insure that. Not too sure about the interior either. Rear tail lamps are not even right. They are both mis shapen and it is difficult to get them to fit right. I would order the promo reproduction lamps from Modelhaus and fill in the holes on the body and recarve the holes to fit the promo lamps. The photoetch kits from model garage will get you the right side markers, other name plates and a grille surround to make a 69 Beaumont from Canada. You just have to sand off the molded in side lamps and place the photoetch piece in the right place.