Model Cars Magazine Forum

So is the 'rat rod' craze officially over?

YES I,V SEEN THEM ,DONK IS SHORT FOR DONKY A.K,A, [ A$$] AND THAT IS WHAT THOSE CARS LOOK LIKE ,

From what I've read, it's because the early builds were Impalas...someone thought the Impala logo looked like a donkey. What I've read is that technically the donk term only applied to '71-76 Impalas and Caprices, the '77-90 ones are called 'boxes' and the '91-96 are called 'bubbles'...there is/was a magazine called 'Donk, Box, and Bubble' about the culture...but the term has moved to wider use over the years to cover a wide range of high riding, big wheeled cars.

Edited by Rob Hall

This is what Gray Baskerville called "Rats"

BurbankChoppers_zps0ea0fe4c.jpg

Not this

28_Model_A_Rat_Rod__new_21_zps4309aa5b.j

For the money spent on those stupid looking wheels and tires, that could have been built into a decent looking little Bucket. Now it looks like it needs to be media blasted/primed and maybe painted, new frame, more appropriate engine (that would look good in a later style rod or street machine once cleaned up), different wheels, ect. I've seen better looking cars and trucks laying in the junkyards around here! Edited by Joe Handley

Personally feelings are that the trend generated a lot of interest because it was available to the common man with shallow pockets. Careful spending followed up by artistic assembly resulted in a rod one could be proud of.

The flip side were those who "didn't get it" and threw tons of money at the project resulting in "clown rods" with skull air intakes and V-12 tank engines.

A proper nostalgia rod is only a few thousand dollars away from being a beautiful street rod. One has to know when to stop, but few do...

Is the trend over? Doubtful. A trend that lasts this long tends to fade out slowly. Especially since building one is so easy, provided one has proper restraint.
For the trend to be totally over... there has to be one to take it's place and so far the only trend growing right now, according to the latest SEMA pics, is one tipping the scales back to big bucks. (No name for it yet but I call it another run at the phantom craze that swept the hobby back in the 80's)

I don't care for the "repurposed" garbage used on cars. A few examples are ok, but some go overboard and build a car out of trash. The ones I like are generally jsut rusty/ rough around the edges/ unpainted hot rods or street machines. Not the rolling garbage-deathtraps.

I don't care for the "repurposed" garbage used on cars. A few examples are ok, but some go overboard and build a car out of trash. The ones I like are generally jsut rusty/ rough around the edges/ unpainted hot rods or street machines. Not the rolling garbage-deathtraps.

I had a Dodge Challenger back in the early '80's that fit in there. It was rough around the edges, had a not-very-shiny finish, an ugly roof (as I had removed the white vinyl) and a lot of "homemade" touches, with some basic "speed equipment", mis-matched white stripe tires and a nice stance. My daily-driver, it was what I could afford and I enjoyed driving that car, especially to the first Car Craft Street Machine Nationals East in '83 and the occasional cruise on NY RTE 231.

hmm interesting , all that i'm stating below isnt a direct reaction on whats written in this topic , no its not its a general idea about the bigger picture , since these subjects are all over the internet and world ...

sadly this is a chewed out discussion , the whole internet is full of discussions about car styles .

either its rice , rat , donk , import , and so on ... in the end its all a matter of taste ...

so you either like ik or not , i myself can say (and price myself lucky) that i like a whole variety of styles , i love old vw's , i love shiney hotrods , i love ratrods , love trucks , musscle cars and yes i love oldskool and newskool import cars , so like the drift / camber and vip style ...

there are a lot of things i dont like such as the donk style and other over the top stuff loaded with needless spoilers ...

but if they love it > hey thats cool ..

i just think its funny that over the past few years the ranting on styles has become so big , its like people try to force their opinion on others and have to convince everybody and need to hear that its as bad as they think it is ..

isnt that whats happening in the world and with that i dont mean only car-related ..think abaout that

my vision is , first of all if we all would like the same stuff .. whell it would become really boring ..

imagine a world where we would all live in the same house , drive the same car etc etc etc .. ooh that would be a nightmare haha

and second .. we should respect eitch other opinions more .. and think more in terms of live and let live ..

oh and btw i dont like rat style because its a hype i just love the looks .. and personally i prefer to call it vintage looking hotrods > functional pieces of art that for a change dont have to shine to steal the show :)

its not all gold that blings ____

Edited by crazyrichard

myself ,i never 'got' the thing about rat rods or aircooled ratted VW's..

i just can't get behind the fact that one would invest thousands and thousand of dollars/euro's chassiswise -enginewise while the outside looks like something that's been lying in a forrest somewhere for years...

obviously it's to 'shock' people in a way ,because it's still a driveable car which nobody expects..

i've seen them at shows and meetings and such and they allways gather a crowd..but i always have mixed feelings about why? novelty? beeing different just to be different?

i'm not saying that the people who built them aren't skilled enough to build an entirely finished show car ,but why don't they ?

if you go through all this trouble why don't you?

i just don't get it..

maybe i like an old car with a great engine/chassis and a mile deep paint job too much..maybe because i know what it takes to achieve that and keeping it that way..

other than that ..like i said ..i don't get the whole hype/style ...

sadly this is a chewed out discussion , the whole internet is full of discussions about car styles .

either its rice , rat , donk , import , and so on ... in the end its all a matter of taste ...

but if they love it > hey thats cool ..

my vision is , first of all if we all would like the same stuff .. whell it would become really boring ..

imagine a world where we would all live in the same house , drive the same car etc etc etc .. ooh that would be a nightmare haha

and second .. we should respect eitch other opinions more .. and think more in terms of live and let live ..

its not all gold that blings ____

hmm, talented AND smart.

myself ,i never 'got' the thing about rat rods or aircooled ratted VW's..

i just can't get behind the fact that one would invest thousands and thousand of dollars/euro's chassiswise -enginewise while the outside looks like something that's been lying in a forrest somewhere for years...

obviously it's to 'shock' people in a way ,because it's still a driveable car which nobody expects..

i've seen them at shows and meetings and such and they allways gather a crowd..but i always have mixed feelings about why? novelty? beeing different just to be different?

i'm not saying that the people who built them aren't skilled enough to build an entirely finished show car ,but why don't they ?

if you go through all this trouble why don't you?

i just don't get it..

maybe i like an old car with a great engine/chassis and a mile deep paint job too much..maybe because i know what it takes to achieve that and keeping it that way..

other than that ..like i said ..i don't get the whole hype/style ...

I think it is because they are "different" and fairly unique to one another. It does get boring seeing the same old billet rod or stock muscle car at every show.