Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford canopy express truck - It's finished!

I saw this 50 Chevy canopy express truck at an antique machinery show in September and thought it would be nice to make a model of it or something like it.

10747001985_1bcf8ca0a6_z.jpg

I had a 40 Ford panel truck that I built over 40 years ago sitting on a shelf falling apart, so I decided to use it as a base for my model. I can't find a 40 Ford truck like this on Google, so maybe Ford never made any that year. I found pics of Model A's and 50 Fords,but nothing in between. So maybe this model is a phantom. Anyway, I cut openings in the sides and cut down the rear door to make it a tailgate.

I made side rails for the side openings, and a bulkhead between the cab and bed. The veggie crates and racks are made of balsa and coffee stirrers. Veggies are pictures glued into the crates. I plan to display the truck in the parking lot of my 1959 diner and ice cream stand dioramas. I plan to weather it a bit, since in the 1959 setting it would be almost 20 years old.

This is a mockup.

10747085946_47f836fdf4_z.jpg

Almost done!

10823035463_95b9dbb1e9_z.jpg

I plan to make the rolled up tarps for the sides and rear from some landscape fabric.

Sam

Edited by Sixties Sam

Looks good Sam! I'm sure a huckster was available in 1940, or a body company would offer it since it was a popular vendor truck.

For the tarps, I would suggest using masking tape. Take the tape and spray the glue side with Testors Dullcote. That takes the sticky away leaving you with nice thin material with a pattern on it to work with. I use it all the time for things like this. It's also how I make my seat belts.

I finished the truck today. Here some photos. I used masking tape for the tarps (Thanks Tom Geiger for the idea) Farmer Brown is selling some veggies at Dad's Garage on my diorama. I dirtied up the truck a little, since it is to be a farmer's truck and would probably be a bit dirty and worn after years of use. The chrome is naturally faded from the model being 40 years old. Paint is Krylon with a little bit of clear to keep the shine down. I hope you guys like it. It's something different!

10842904725_30a3a66bb9_z.jpg

10842977416_6111790bf2_z.jpg

10842911445_6a27940e24_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oops! I deleted two of the photos from my Flickr account. Here's a new one.

11052580556_4a24796164_z.jpg

Thanks, everyone for the compliments. I enjoy building unusual subjects, even if they don't have the mass appeal of the more often build hot rods, muscle cars, etc.

Sam

Edited by Sixties Sam