Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recomend glue for resin.

What type of glue would you recomend for using for assemble resin parts?

Would be nice with product name and maby a little picture of the product.

It`s okay to know since i most likely would purchase it from Ebay since

many of products you use arent avaliable in my country,or have a diffrent

name.

Thanks in advance.

So far, this is the best CA glue product I've used on resin, and for bonding various metals to resin and styrene. It also makes a good edge-filler for getting cut panels to fit openings precisely. For ultimate strength, a high-strength epoxy would be better. I put a lot of load on joints while doing heavy mods with a lot of bodywork...that's why I go for strength overkill.

sg_ug_cntrl.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I used to recommend two adhesives for working with resin kits (back when I was casting): 5-minute epoxy if one is a bit timid with regard to CA glues, but gap-filling CA if you want a permanent bond!

Gap-filling CA is slower setting than the thin, very runny CA we all came to know as "super glue", however. CA glues do not dry, but rather they go from liquid to crystallized by the application of pressure, moisture, or some chemical which "kicks" that crystallizing solidification. I prefer the last one, frankly.

While Pacer (the maker of ZAP CA glues) offers a setting spray (ZAP-a-Gap), be advised that their setting solution may attack the surface of styrene, and certainly painted surfaces. By far and away the best CA "kicker" that I have found (and the ONLY one I use!) is BSI (Bob Smith Industries) Insta-Set, which comes in a "push pump" spray bottle (large bottles for refilling the push-pump are available). Insta-Set absolutely does not attack styrene, nor will it attack or mar any of the paints, decals, chrome or clear parts (in fact, it always completely eliminates any tendency of CA glues to "fog up" clear or chrome parts--I have used the stuff for nearly 30 years for attaching glass and chrome!). BSI also makes a small "needle tip" which will slip right onto the nozzle of Goldberg's series of "Jet" CA glues, making fine and accurate applications of CA as easy as pie. Goldberg's brand of medium viscosity CA is labeled "SuperJet", and as with InstaSet, is the only CA glue I've used since it came out about 1986.

Both InstaSet and the Goldberg line of "Jet" CA glues are available in many hobby shops carrying extensive lines of RC products, and are also available online from Tower Hobbies (and their shipping is quite fast)--not a commercial for Tower, but just for information.

As Bill points out, medium viscosity CA glues also make excellent fillers, particulary for small areas such as a locating hole you want to fill, even joints between body panels that you want to smooth over. Just apply it to the hole or joint, spritz with InstaSet, wait a few minutes, then dress down with needle files and fine sandpaper--repeat as necessary to complete the filling of such areas. Oh, and it accepts paint very well, and once set hard, it doesn't shrink!

As a last thought here: Virtually all brands of CA are the same--the stuff made in large quantities, tank loads get shipped to whomever packages and brands it. I stay with Goldberg simply because in my experience, it has always been the freshest product, no matter where I buy it.

Art