Model Cars Magazine Forum

41 Plymouth Diecast Pick Up

Duntov

I ran across this in a very unlikely place….. Christmas decorations section in a large chain grocery store…..hmmmm….strange indeed but…..

It is 1:24 scale by Motormax….. nice looking and I considered grabbing it….under ten bucks I figured I can't go wrong…..

Does anyone have experience with these ???? Looks like some good possibilities here….. pretty nice right out of the box with the exception of a few oversized details here and there….would love to see a Revell plastic version of this (like the 37-38 Fords and 41 Chevy???? Maybe????)…..it would certainly round out the collection…..!!!!!

Any comments on this one????

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

41PlyPU-vi.jpg

Bill…. Try Publix…… they vary greatly from store to store with where they place things and there is significant variation from store to store in the seasonal things they carry….as I mentioned this was in the seasonal section with the Christmas ornaments that they just started displaying…..

Also------ sent you a PM about another source….

This looks like an OK truck…Ed made the comment that it was "acceptable"…..

They also had some early sixties Chvey trucks as well (65 ish I think……) a red and a cream color one as well but the Plymouth looked better….plus there are enough of those out in plastic that I would not go after one…..

I am considering stripping the paint and doing some rework…..maybe rebuild the engine?…. long before the Revell 50 Olds came out AMT / ERTL did a '49 Olds and I stripped that one and painted it and added some after market wide whites and baby moons….tweaked the interior a bit too…... still have that '49 in my collection and it looks great…… I had to fill in the slot in the trunk (originally it was a bank) but that was the only real issue and it worked pretty well…..

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Thanx for the heads-up on this...I just snagged the last one at my local, and I had to dig in a bunch of other models to find it. Remarkably nice little model for ten bucks, though the chassis is typically blodular. There's certainly a nice, crisp bunch of body castings, and plenty to make the basis of a really unique build.

MVC003S-vi.jpg

Here's my copy of the Motormax Plymouth pickup. I like this very much and wouldn't think of breaking it apart to do anything different. I'd add some light commercial decals on the doors...

MVC008S-vi.jpg

Since someone mentioned Dodge, Johnny Lightning did the neat humpback van. Our very own Art Anderson designed the Coke scheme.

Motormax also did a nice '66 Chevy pickup that hasn't been kitted. I got one of those at Walmart in a set with a camper for $20. I've also seen the above Plymouth pickup mated with that same camper at Wallys. So that's another place to look.

I have several of those Plymouth trucks, they're not too bad. The last one I picked up comes with the camper pictured with the '66 Chevy, it doesn't really fit very well in the Plymouth bed, though. I found it at the local Tractor Supply store, along with a decent '58 Chevy Apache Fleetside. Menard's is also carrying the same line of die casts.

For the most part, any die casts I get go right on the shelf, but I do have one of the Plymouth trucks apart with plans on making a hot rod out of it. No real progress other than taking it apart, though.

No real progress other than taking it apart, though.

That's me and that camper! It comes apart real easy with screws. I want to turn one into a full detail interior and haven't gotten any further than taking it apart! :rolleyes:

In my defense, the interior wasn't meant to be opened up. None of the camper windows are cut open, just painted black. And there is a lot of structure and screw posts in the interior to hollow out!

Hi guys….

I have to agree it will be a bit hard to take the 41 Plymouth apart but it will happen…..

I think lowering it just a bit with some period (1950's) custom wheels and maybe rework the engine… is all in store for this one….

Thanks!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

• 2 weeks later...