Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you think is the best 1/24-1/25 scale kit?

Hi fellas, I've started to play with a tamiya porsche carrera gt and it strikes me how well engineered the kit is plus what a good subject choice. I'm impressed by the separately moulded brake calibers, seat pieces, dash pieces etc and the parts fit is perfect. I'm just curious about what others think anout this kit and other kits. Cheers

Ben

The Revell Orange Crate is the best kit ever, closely followed by their Beatnik Bandit. Most Tamiya kits have good detail. The AMT Munster Koach has risible detail and is utterly wonderful!

Edited by DonW

In my admittedly limited experience, the nicest all around kit I've built is the Moebius Hudson. Great engineering and fit, cool instructions, nice box art, what's not to like?

Wait 'til you see the Moebius '56 Chrysler 300B! Beautifully captures the look of the real car, very well laid out, assembly precision rivaling the best of "Tamigawa", and the box art? Awesome.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Wait 'til you see the Moebius '56 Chrysler 300B! Beautifully captures the look of the real car, very well laid out, assembly precision rivaling the best of "Tamigawa", and the box art? Awesome.

Art

Agreed......the 55 was nice....but the design of the 1/1 and the way it has been captured in scale.......a much better looking car IMHO.

I want to build a retro street machine....but have to finish a special build I need to do first.

For me it as to be the 356 Porsche range from Fujimi. Not the easiest kits to build due to the shear complexity, but detailing and accuracy to die for!

Tamiya's Enzo is also superbly engineered and I suspect their new LaFerrari will be a masterpiece of engineering too.

The Tamiya Ferrari 360's are fantastic kits that build up right out of the box as potential contest winners. Excellent detail and amazing parts fit and engineering. The Carrera and Enzo are in the pile waiting for me to get around to ordering SMS carbon fiber sets for them. As an aside, I still don't get why domestic manufacturers haven't caught on to the metal transfer scripts that the Japanese manufacturers include in many of their kits now...it can't be that expensive to throw a set of them in, and they really are an easy and effective way to add an extra level of detail to a kit!

The Hasegawa 250TR and Miura are probably the best fitting kits I've built; the Moebius Chrysler 300 is awesomely detailed and great to build, but just slightly on the "softer" side. In the box, though, I think it would be hard to beat the Tamiya 360, Carrera GT, Enzo/Fxx, and of all the ones I've actually GOT, above all the LFA. When the LaFerrari arrives in a few months, I might we'll be adding another to the top of that list...

bestest,

M.

As an aside, I still don't get why domestic manufacturers haven't caught on to the metal transfer scripts that the Japanese manufacturers include in many of their kits now...it can't be that expensive to throw a set of them in, and they really are an easy and effective way to add an extra level of detail to a kit!

Yeah, I have wondered that myself. Way beyond decals. They are an additional cost and step in production, though...

I can't judge the best kit ever, becuase I have built so few! I really like Revell's 1962 Impala - very nice construction and the car "looks" the part. Tamiya - yeah, cliche there. Thier kits are amazingly engineered. The manufactuerer to watch (and has been for a few years) is Aoshima. I have only built two of thier models but have a few in the heap and have to say that the engraving and crisp detail is unsurpassed. Beautiful stuff.

So…what was the question?

The Tamiya Enzo. That's not easy to say because my Tamiya AM DBS turned out better but the Enzo is freaking amazing. It goes together almost like the real car, is amazingly detailed, unlimited detail opportunity, looks stunning. Mine came with a small set of carbon decals that just set everything off.

And all this for not too bad of a price.

This is a very subjective!
Back in the '70's I would have said the Revell Funny cars were the very best scale kits EVER! (I built and scratchbuilt from more than 10 of those wonderful kits. Most of them the Vega funny.)

But.... (very big but), if someone never builds drag cars..... they wouldn't understand.
The Galaxie Chev kits could probably be put in the same category as the earlier Revell kits... but if one only desires to build Ford or Chrysler products....

And what about street rods? If a builder only likes building street rods then the viewpoint narrows to a handful of kits.

I have heard that the Revell 1957 "Black Widow" kit is one of the nicest scaled kits... but I don't like or build tri-five Chevrolets.

I had heard that the Fujimi 911 Porsche kits are one of the nicest scaled kits of all time back in 1989.... but I don't care for Porsche kits.
You see what I mean? It is subjective based on what subject matter the builder is interested in building and therefore the question needs more focus.

Edited by Jairus

The kit I remember that really freaked my freak when it came out was Monogram's 59 Caddy back in the early 90's.

Though it was a big step in the right direction, I think the successors like the '55 Chevy 'vert were better, why?..

Well my biggest gripe is the promo like front clip, with missing engraving under the headlamps of which the surrounds include the end-caps of the front fenders.

IMHO it would've been better if they molded the lower bumper separate from the grille and the headlamp buckets as separate parts too, but again that's my humble opinion

Photo courtesy of Rosenblum TV

1959-cadillac-eldorado-1280.jpg

Edited by Luc Janssens

I don't mess with the japanese model co product lines so I can't compere any of them

But for me , and for there time periods they were released,,,,,the Revell Thunderbolt and the 1969 Camaro were the best compared to what was avail at the time,, and since.

I have a Johan Turbine car and if you compare it to anything else ( especially from the same time period) it's a no brainer, even compared to some modern tooled kits, it's still is a major standout. ( I have yet to build one though, I cheated I bought an original issue promo )

But looking at the Moebius 300 kit it might give the Turbine car a good run. The sad part is there designed - produced 50 years apart. Says something major about the Johan Turbine car

Also speaking from limited experience, the Revell '48 ford custom coupe tops my list (so far). Everything fits and looks great. Lots of build options and detail, and the top chop is so nicely done it looks like it should have come that way from the factory.

Of course, once I get around to building my Galaxie '46 Chevy sedan delivery I suspect I'll have a new fave'.