Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you think is the best 1/24-1/25 scale kit?

in the same vein as the JoHan Turbine kit would be JoHan's two Mercedes kits. Those were so awesome to build. It was like putting the real chassis together. I hadn't anything like it until Galaxie's 48 Chevy. In the first issue of the Sindelfingen limousine, it had that rich maroon plastic that was darker than releases later on. You just waxed it and there it was all shiny and stuff.

This is a very subjective!

You see what I mean? It is subjective based on what subject matter the builder is interested in building and therefore the question needs more focus.

Not really. The question is "What do you think is the best 1/24-1/25 scale kit?" and NOT "What is your favorite kit?" It's not subjective at all, what kit is the best engineered? ... doesn't matter if it's your building style, or your make of car. If you were going to commission a kit today what kit would you like the engineering to emulate?

What's coming through..

Johan Turbine Car - just amazing engineering. Best manufactured kit produced to date when it was new and still holds up today.

Galaxie Chevys - A kit literally commissioned and designed by real model car guys with the aim of producing the best kits ever.

And I'll throw another one out there... Polar Lights Herbie VW. The designers tried to create a whole new kit concept. A snap kit molded in color that the newest novice could assemble without issues and get pleasing results. And at the same time, a kit with enough detail to satisify serious builders who could modify it to their heart's content. Score!

in the same vein as the JoHan Turbine kit would be JoHan's two Mercedes kits. Those were so awesome to build. It was like putting the real chassis together. I hadn't anything like it until Galaxie's 48 Chevy. In the first issue of the Sindelfingen limousine, it had that rich maroon plastic that was darker than releases later on. You just waxed it and there it was all shiny and stuff.

X 2. That 500K in dark maroon (Trophy version) is also at the top of my list, much better than the reissues. Nicely done wire wheels. One reason it's so well-done is that they had access to the real one-of-a-kind car when it was in its restored condition (hidden away since then in a salvage yard in E. Central L.A.).

For thew 60's, I agree with the Johan Turbine. Unbelievable, for the time, & has stood the test of time. AMT 289 Cobra, well engineered, well detail, well engineered.

The 70's was a "dead era", with nothing earth shaking.

The 80's became the "new era" of models. The AMT 66 Nova, Monogram Pro Stocks, & Revell 69 Camaro were ground breaking kits.

Tamiya & Fujimi, produced outstanding kits, in the 80's. Tamiya Mercedes C9 & Porsche 956, Fujimi Ferrari 365 Daytona come to mind as some of the best.

As for contemporary kits, Revell has been leading the pack, with great subjects, like the 49 Merc, 69 Nova, & Tri 5 series.

Of all of those, it's hard to pick the best.

Jeff

I cant remember where but I read somewhere that the Lexus LFA from Tamiya is amongst their most detailed kits ever.Even the designers thought they went " A little too far" on this one! lol Does anybody ever built that kit and/or could share personal experience with that kit^ (question mark broke on keyboard)

I cant remember where but I read somewhere that the Lexus LFA from Tamiya is amongst their most detailed kits ever.Even the designers thought they went " A little too far" on this one! lol Does anybody ever built that kit and/or could share personal experience with that kit^ (question mark broke on keyboard)

I quote Matthew Broderrick, as Ferris Bueller. "You can never go too far." A lot of builders strive to be as accurate and true to a 1:1 as possible so, every little bit helps. You may be able to make a kit a bit too complicated for some builders but, you can never go too far in detail, fit, and finish.

Edited by Skydime