Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another crazy ebay listing...

I'm willing to bet that newbies don't have a clue what "phantom" or airbox" means in the general vocabulary, even though he described it reasonably well.

Yes, and even in states in the description it's an EMPTY box.

Also, for those of you wondering about phantoms of your own, in the description the seller states he has no idea what the label is on the bottom. He didn't make this box.

Looks like the box designer used way too many screen shots from the movie, and not enough PS'd images of the actual kit.

This one is slightly better IMHO:

0d37a8cd-c301-4c1f-bc3e-0c85624cc885.jpg

About 5 years ago I was lucky enough to get a tour of Steven Juliano's Mopar collection and he had the Diamante kit box in a showcase (at the time he owned the 1:1 Diamante, it was about 30' from the kit box). I told him that I remembered the kit box from an SAE article in the early 80's as a phantom box. Steven was really happy to hear the explanation as it explained the early 80's camaro in the box.

A couple years ago I saw the "Used Cars" phantom kit with a wrecked 67 Galaxie as the box art car on E-bay. It was being sold as a "super rare prototype kit". I sent an explanation of the phantom box to the seller, it was a waste of time :(

Carmak

1/8 scale wire wheels, hand-made, very nicely done... but $700??? :blink:

Yikes...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XKE-E-Type-scale-1-8-spoke-rims-revell-Monogram-pocher-/301018752045?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item46161da42d

Edit: also just saw a new Pocher Aventador selling for $1200 plus $150 S/H! Yeesh... :rolleyes:

I think the Pocher Aventdaor is $1200 because he is offering to build it for you then ship it..that straight out of box...painting and any other extra work...is,,,extra

My mistake Harry...there is one selling $1200 kit only...the one selling the pre-built service is for $1800

Edited by samurai7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181268484935?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161159019216?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

The first one equals out to 14.20 a kit

And the second one equals out to around 15.73 a kit since the seller doesnt give a exact number of kits

No thanks.

Why is it when people put stuff on Ebay they don't spend any time on the photography? I always touch up my photos. A little brightness and sharpening go a long way. Especially when you're asking that much.

Like when people are selling a bunch of model parts and they just dump it on the table.

OK rant over...

No thanks.

Why is it when people put stuff on Ebay they don't spend any time on the photography? I always touch up my photos. A little brightness and sharpening go a long way. Especially when you're asking that much.

Like when people are selling a bunch of model parts and they just dump it on the table.

OK rant over...

Yea when i sell parts or kits I take several pictures and fron several different angles

No thanks.

OK rant over...

I agree, even if I were interested which I'm not, I wouldn't bid for the fact I can't see the merchandise, LOUSY photography!!! :blink:

Whenever I see listings like this it always makes me wonder if there isn't a wife or girlfriend behind it...which can later be turned into a "Well honey I TRIED to sell them, and no one bid!" scenario.

Those two collections combined didn't cost $2,500 to acquire new, and there's certainly nothing in them that increased in value appreciably since then.

And ... after you factor out the 'packing material' (NASCAR kits) the price jumps to just over $20 each.

The second auction; I agree "But Honey, I TRIED to sell them. Yeah, right! Lousy pictures of about a third of the kits, no description to speak of, more like "Trust me, this is good stuff." Stooopid people.

that second one actually doesn't look too bad, if you read the fine print there are 160 models but by my count no more than 60 of them are shown. and the ones shown aren't half bad, some nice VW models and Japanese kits. two large scale cars. plus "custom parts" and tools and compressor, possibly air brush. this is kinda a "storage wars" lot, looks like. it is a little overpriced but I think if you really looked at and added up everything there, you would come out significantly ahead especially if you liked the subject matter of the kits.

that second one actually doesn't look too bad, if you read the fine print there are 160 models but by my count no more than 60 of them are shown. and the ones shown aren't half bad, some nice VW models and Japanese kits. two large scale cars. plus "custom parts" and tools and compressor, possibly air brush. this is kinda a "storage wars" lot, looks like. it is a little overpriced but I think if you really looked at and added up everything there, you would come out significantly ahead especially if you liked the subject matter of the kits.

that's what I'm thinking. It looks like a storage locker he paid too much for and is trying make a bit of profit.

I have been messaging with the owner of that second auction, and I pointed out that if you count up all the kits in all his photos there are only around 60 or 70, and suggested he take some quick pics of the rest of them. he replied that he couldn't post anymore photos (but he can...up to 12 I think for free) and something about the value is made up from all the parts and tools and paints and stuff. So...huh?

I would guess he does not have 160 kits, more like 160 separate items counting paint cans etc as one each.

I have been messaging with the owner of that second auction, and I pointed out that if you count up all the kits in all his photos there are only around 60 or 70, and suggested he take some quick pics of the rest of them. he replied that he couldn't post anymore photos (but he can...up to 12 I think for free) and something about the value is made up from all the parts and tools and paints and stuff. So...huh?

I would guess he does not have 160 kits, more like 160 separate items counting paint cans etc as one each.

Yes, you get 12 free pictures with your listing.

Funny, does the seller not see $2500 as a large investment? If I am spending that kind of green on something, you better darn well give me ALL THE PHOTOS I WANT!!!! Some sellers think they have the upper hand - yeah, no. The buyer is the one that needs to be accomodated.