Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cobra 427

Has anyone built this? I searched through here and could only find 1/24 and 25 scale models.

I ask because I started this kit years ago and set it aside because it had too many fitment problems. I recently pulled it back off the shelf, and the fitment problems are still there (I thought maybe shelving it would make them go away) :D

Nothing seems to line up correctly in the engine compartment area. The kit directions call for installing the inner fenders to the body, but if they are installed where the line up tabs are, they don't fit the chassis properly. If installed to the chassis, they don't fit the body properly. I had to notch the frame to fit the unmodified kit engine or else the oil filter would have stopped it from sitting on the engine brackets. i also had to notch a cross member so the oil pan didn't hit it. The exhaust sidepipes need to be extended to hit the headers. It's all a big mess.

Anyone else?

I built one of these kits about 15 years ago when i was a teenager......needless to say it was one of the early models and i didn't do to good of a job on it.

Fast forward to today......I've acquired another and have begun working on it earlier today. I will have a w.i.p. thread soon.

I built one years ago when they first came out. Don't recall any major problems. It was destroyed by a visiting nephew. I have all 3 versions ( same kit but 3 different types of packaging ) in my collection and may build another some day. I will be looking forward to your build.

Nice build!

I didn't realize there were different versions out. Mine has the full bumper tubes and dual carbs with individual air filters. I'm wondering if yours was a different run?

Some crappy cell phone pics of mine.

This is where I had to notch the frame to fit the oil filter, and the trimmed down crossmember-

20131108_213802.jpg

And the oil filter, exactly where it should be-

20131108_213823.jpg

I had to add the spacers to the exhaust, I haven't shaped them yet-

20131108_213833.jpg

The fan also hits the suspension upright if the engine is centered.

I think this one might go back on the shelf for a while so i don't keep getting frustrated.

The fan also hits the suspension upright if the engine is centered.

In a Cobra, there is no fan on the water pump pulley. Either 1 puller fan hung on the back of the radiator or 2 pusher fans in the nose in front of the rad.

The oil filter is correct on the block, the kit's frame has the wrong dimension making it too narrow there. You could remote-mount the filter in front of the left head which was common on the Comps and S/Cs.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic build. May i askwhich kithas that aircleaner?

Joe.

It's a nicely done air cleaner-BUT-the carbs shown on this kit are totally bogus. They're neither Webers, Holleys or AFBs. That style a/c was only used on Holleys.

Brian's model is very nice because it's evocative of early Cobras and is beautifully assembled and finished.

But the kit requires massive corrections to be close to an accurate model.

It's a nicely done air cleaner-BUT-the carbs shown on this kit are totally bogus. They're neither Webers, Holleys or AFBs. That style a/c was only used on Holleys.

Brian's model is very nice because it's evocative of early Cobras and is beautifully assembled and finished.

But the kit requires massive corrections to be close to an accurate model.

Thanks for the tip. I guess it stays on the shelf until some resin gets done to make this accurate. I am a bit surprised no one has made any aftermarket correctuon pieces yet.

Joe.

Thanks for the tip. I guess it stays on the shelf until some resin gets done to make this accurate.

Joe.

I doubt that will happen considering all the years that the kit has been around. It's more than just resin bits needed-the thicknesses, shapes and fits all require much better tooling.

• 2 weeks later...