Model Cars Magazine Forum

well, My Vega F/c Body for the Green Elephant looks like Tom's Now, lol, I did the first cover coat and had small Air pin bubbles in it, wet sanded it, and then it looksed like it was in a Hail Storm, lol,,soaking now in Super Clean, Keep ya updated,,

It was all fun and games until the flying monkeys arrived!

The van was pretty much done. Decals in place, all the detail painting done and pretty darn good I might add! Someone suggested I clear coat it with Testors Wet Look Clear. Bad move! That paint brought the red plastic to the surface and melted all the Sharpie lines in panel seams. I don't understand how it brought the red to the surface to discolor the paint, especially since it was under several coats of Duplicolor gray, many coats of Duplicolor blue and even a coat of Future.

IMG_4156-vi.jpg

See the difference between the blue in the side panel glass area and under the decals on the front doors. That was the original color. The side panels were clear plastic. Everywhere where there was red plastic, the blue got a tone darker. I would've lived with that, but the Sharpie bled in all the door seams. See the front of the front door. It just floated to the top. I tried to sand some of it down, reasoning that the black mess was in the clear coat, but I made a mess of it. And to add insult to injury the paint touch up repairs didn't tone down like the rest of the paint. So into the drink it went!

Many light coats or fewer heavy ones? It's happened to me a couple of times. You take extra care to ensure the plastic colour doesn't show through. You think you've got away with so you relax and go too heavy with the clear and BANG, it's bath time.