Model Cars Magazine Forum

Allison Dragster

Brent

Some history....

Art Arfons pioneered the use of World War II aircraft powerplants in race cars, boats and tractor pullers. In 1953, Art stunned the visiting Californians with a world-record speed of 144 mph from his 6-wheeled, 12-cylinder, rearengined Allison dragster. Arfons built a dozen Monsters in the 50's, all powered by Allison, Ranger or Roll-Royce piston engines including drag racing's first "sidewinder" (1955). It was during this innovative era that Art contributed two important safety devices since made mandatory for drag cars: the overhead roll cage (1954) and the parachute (early 1959). He also set Top Speed at the National Championships three years in a row, climaxed by blazing runs of 172 and 170 mph at the '59 event after which NHRA permanently banned aircraft powerplants. Art is was inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1991.

Now this dragster is not one of Arts creations. It's a "What If" type build that model building is so great for (let your imagination run wild). It started off with Tony Nancy's Revell Double Dragster set. I used the 22JR Roadster kit and lengthened it 1.75 inches to accept the V12. The V12 came from an AMT Parts Pack kit.

Other modifications include..................

Exhaust. I was tempted to just go with straight pipes (All 24 of them, 2 per cylinder) but decided to get a little freaky. I flipped the exhaust around (pointing them forward), filled in the holes in the bottom of them and bent a "U" shape with styrene. I then cut up and old set of side pipes from the Rat Packer Chevy II kit that I didn't use. LOTS of smoothing and shaping later I came up with a very dramatic set of pipes.

I added an over flow can on the right side of the frame to catch any water when expanding.

Ran fuel line to the fuel pump,Throttle cable and linkage,Parachute straps,Release cable and handle. Hooked up the clutch linkage to the bell housing and made a drive shaft. I had bigger tires on the front but the spokes (Even though might not be strong enough) had to stay. I also added bigger back tires from my parts bin to hold the Horse Power. I did a bit of research on these engines and there are a few different types. They range from 750HP to 1000HP from what I found. I wonder if Art "Tweaked" them as well?

20071110_2301.jpg

20071110_2300.jpg

20071110_2279.jpg

20071110_2306.jpg

20071110_2303.jpg

Awesome! :D I'm a big fan of the biggest engine into the smallest possible vehicle. B) It seems that you share that with me, judging from your salt flat racer too!

:D

The salt flat car was Joe's. I believe we did them pretty much at the same time. But I do agree! ;)

• 2 months later...

That is so cool! Great job on those pipes. They look sinister :unsure:

Thanks for sharing Art's story! One of my favorite aspects of this hobby: Learning about the 1:1 and/or history behind it. Whether a factory stock, a race car, and aircraft or a submarine, I love to learn about the real thing.

Thanks!

Brent...great job. The engine looks perfect and I really like the fact that you kept the body, or lack of body, very clean....kind of like, the builder was in a hurry to get the thing down the track and did not want to waste time on a body because it did not add anything to the top end speed. Nice build on a vehicle that you just don't see often.

Love the attitude of this. You wouldn't wanna stand in its way! I'd love to try one of these. Is that Allison engine still available?

I know theres the Model King '69 Thunderbird F/C out now, but am I right in thinking that the engine was once available seperately?

Bob

I've got a resin one so I suspect someone made them, but I've never seen it available on sale anywhere...

Wow guys thanks. Haven't been at the desk for a while so am missing the hobby big time.

The Allison is from a Revell parts pack. It came with an all chrome hot rod frame , a few sets of rims and some old movie projector type cameras. I found two of them so scooped them up a while back.

I just ordered the Thunder bird kit but it hasn't arrived yet.

Edited by Brent

• 7 months later...

great job I really like the headers. I always wanted to build something with an allison engine but haven't gotten around to researching how to detail the engine some stuff I can figure out but the fuel lines and electrical system and cooling mysterious even if I had pictures. once again great job!

:D Brent, Stevens Int. just released a NEW parts pack that has the Allison, T-bucket body, AND a frame IIRC.It's got a buncha other engines too.I agree, that Allison was gettin pretty rare, an hard to find! You lil Rail looks jus TOO COOL! :D Edited by george 53

Yeah I've just placed an order for the AMT stevens kit. Gonna tie the Allison up with an extended Mooneyes frame and an old 27T body - should be a hoot! Whats the story with these parts packs? I've bought what seems to be the same engine kits from Revell and AMT. Did the moulds go back and forth at some point, or are they in fact seperate moulds.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I haven't been building at all for quite some time and need to get back to it. I am how ever keeping up with all the re releases and was happy to see the return of the Allison engine. I can't wait to see more people building with it. let your imagination run wild!!

Some history....

Art Arfons pioneered the use of World War II aircraft powerplants in race cars, boats and tractor pullers. In 1953, Art stunned the visiting Californians with a world-record speed of 144 mph from his 6-wheeled, 12-cylinder, rearengined Allison dragster. Arfons built a dozen Monsters in the 50's, all powered by Allison, Ranger or Roll-Royce piston engines including drag racing's first "sidewinder" (1955). It was during this innovative era that Art contributed two important safety devices since made mandatory for drag cars: the overhead roll cage (1954) and the parachute (early 1959). He also set Top Speed at the National Championships three years in a row, climaxed by blazing runs of 172 and 170 mph at the '59 event after which NHRA permanently banned aircraft powerplants. Art is was inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1991.

Now this dragster is not one of Arts creations. It's a "What If" type build that model building is so great for (let your imagination run wild). It started off with Tony Nancy's Revell Double Dragster set. I used the 22JR Roadster kit and lengthened it 1.75 inches to accept the V12. The V12 came from an AMT Parts Pack kit.

Other modifications include..................

Exhaust. I was tempted to just go with straight pipes (All 24 of them, 2 per cylinder) but decided to get a little freaky. I flipped the exhaust around (pointing them forward), filled in the holes in the bottom of them and bent a "U" shape with styrene. I then cut up and old set of side pipes from the Rat Packer Chevy II kit that I didn't use. LOTS of smoothing and shaping later I came up with a very dramatic set of pipes.

I added an over flow can on the right side of the frame to catch any water when expanding.

Ran fuel line to the fuel pump,Throttle cable and linkage,Parachute straps,Release cable and handle. Hooked up the clutch linkage to the bell housing and made a drive shaft. I had bigger tires on the front but the spokes (Even though might not be strong enough) had to stay. I also added bigger back tires from my parts bin to hold the Horse Power. I did a bit of research on these engines and there are a few different types. They range from 750HP to 1000HP from what I found. I wonder if Art "Tweaked" them as well?

20071110_2301.jpg

20071110_2300.jpg

20071110_2279.jpg

20071110_2306.jpg

20071110_2303.jpg

GREAT JOB!!! As mentioned in other posts, I don't think the wires are the way to go on this build, but they do look good. I really like the way you did your Alison detailing and all. I'm keeping this as a reference for my allison build. Excellent work!

TimP