Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air brush help

Congratulations, rattle cans can be a useful tool, but for the next level paint jobs, nothing compares to an airbrush. Steve hit the nail on the head. PRACTICE. Most important thing.

Second, learn about the paint, mixing, drying times, coverage, recoating, enamels, lacquers, acrylics, and so on... Personally, I like to over mix the paint and reducer just slightly, and spray with as low of air pressure i can get away with. Overlap your strokes about half the width, use both vertical and horizontal patterns, and be PATIENT. Let the paint out gas, or flash, that is the solvents have to evaporate out of the last coat before you put the next coat on. On old rule of thumb for this is wait until you can just leave a fingerprint, on someplace you have masked off, without any paint staying on your finger. That should get you started. Find techinques that work for you. You can get results you never will with rattle cans.post-11762-0-41684200-1385254978_thumb.jpost-11762-0-45466600-1385254990_thumb.j This Is clear Testors enamel with Pearl-Ex powder mixed in sprayed over white. I unmasked the stripes, and put 3 more coats to get the lighter blue.

Good Luck and have fun,

Mark