Model Cars Magazine Forum

Life-Like was, and I believe still is, making styrofoam coolers.

Well, almost.   The full history is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-Like . Basically in 2005 the Styrofoam cooler division split out as Lifoam. Then Life-Like (the model trains company) was acquired by Wm. K. Walthers (a large model train distributor/manufacturer).

• 3 years later...

I love this quote from the article:

“Granted that American car design now ranges from acceptable to handsome, still, one of the ways our cars aren’t better than they used to be is that they all tend to look alike…anyone familiar with the individuality of so many of the great American cars of the past does notice – and cares.”

This was written in 1963

17 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I love this quote from the article:

“Granted that American car design now ranges from acceptable to handsome, still, one of the ways our cars aren’t better than they used to be is that they all tend to look alike…anyone familiar with the individuality of so many of the great American cars of the past does notice – and cares.”

This was written in 1963

Writers have made similar comments even in the '50s.

16 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Writers have made similar comments even in the '50s.

George Steele: "What kind of a car?" 
Station Agent: "I couldn't say. I haven't been able to tell one car from another since 1924. They all look alike now, the way they make 'em."

From the movie "Crack-Up," made in 1946. A pretty good film noir with Pat O'Brien and Claire Trevor. Turner Classic Movies shows it.

I found a mostly built (and glue-bombed) Renwal Packard at a flea market a couple years ago, still in the original box.  Notice the dark/light color separation line at the door.  That's where the body is split on the model. It's a 2-piece body, upper and lower, molded in Dark and Light Green.  The kit engine is a V-12 but looks way undersized IMO. I picked it up because it was fairly cheap and I have delusions of restoring it, some century.

6 hours ago, Cpt Tuttle said:

Anyone noticing the resemblances between an early Valiant and the Raceabout?

It's pretty obvious.  The Duesenberg front hearkens back to the Imperial.   The Exner style is nothing if not distinctive.

You can also see similarities between the Mercer and the XNR

autowp.ru_plymouth_xnr_concept_car_6.jpg

It looks like the Esquire article happened sometime after Chrysler decided Virgil was getting too weird for them.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

Funny thing that as I was going through my odds and ends box the other day I came across the engine from a Renwal Packard that I built back when they were released.

Anyway, the model I most want is the Exner Bugatti. Not a mint kit as too collectable these days, but an old or badly built one even with bits missing, that will probably never get built by the present owner that has been kicking around in their stash for many years. I would like to rebuild/restore this model to give to the Bugatti Trust Museum over here in the UK for permanent display. If anyone can help me in this venture please get in touch via the personal messaging on this forum.

• 9 months later...
On 10/1/2015 at 3:25 PM, Snake45 said:

I built that Monogram TBF when it came out, about, what, 1962, 63? Worst modeling experience of my life to that point. It literally made me cry.

Many, many years later, I tried it again. Had no particular problems with it. Discovered later that it's a bit undersized--more like 1/50 scale than 1/48. The even older Lindberg kit is true 1/48 (by my actual measurements).

I'd still like to try that old Lindberg B-17, if I ever run across a cheap one. It's in an odd 1/64 scale but I think it would be cool to do anyway.

MonogramTBM02.jpg

The B-17 has been reissued by Lindberg and is currently available at Hobby Lobby

1 hour ago, Greg Myers said:

The B-17 has been reissued by Lindberg and is currently available at Hobby Lobby

I bought one cheap at Ollie's a couple years ago. Haven't started it yet, but I'm looking forward to it. 

If it goes well, I might do all the Lindberg 1/64 bombers--B-58, He 111, Ju 88, there might have been another one that slips my mind at the moment. And then build the Revell 1/64 B-25, also recently reissued. 

2 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

I built the Thomas Jefferson sub a year or two ago. Check out this box art.

DSCN1868.JPG

That's one kit I've always wanted to build! Had the pleasure to see one of these nuclear subs in Port Canaveral once. No doubt going to the Navy Wharf there. 

• 5 months later...
On 9/30/2015 at 1:07 AM, keyser said:

Ive got a couple Pierces, but no color flip there I've seen. Just burgundy plastic. If anyone has seen a flip on a Pierce please let me know

Don't think this is a flip, but in case anyone is looking, stumbled across this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RENWAL-107-198-1966-Pierce-Arrow-66-Revival-series-1-25-Built-Rare/184623114161?hash=item2afc6527b1%3Ag%3A5NUAAOSwLEdgAkST&LH_BIN=1

s-l1600.jpg

Hey Casey. 
Nice built-up.
Not a color flip, it seems they couldn’t find an acceptable split like the others. 

Really hoping these molds or even some were lurking. Fun kits, update wheels, clean up some details, and kitbash some, cool results. 

On 11/25/2013 at 12:41 PM, Greg Myers said:

who was responsible for this one from Nichimo ? Cobra2.jpg

Old post but what the heck.  Renwal did the 65 Mustang which Revell reissued and then made into the R&T GT350.

E9DF022E-697B-47DB-8CEF-38F0882372E8.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

18 hours ago, keyser said:

Not a color flip, it seems they couldn’t find an acceptable split like the others. 

Yes, it looked like magenta on magenta to me, but figured someone might be interested, and they don't seem to pop up all that frequently. 

Those extended headlight housings, tho...? To each their own. B)

*edit* Will we be seeing this one in the WDYGT topic in a few days??? 

Edited by Casey

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes, it looked like magenta on magenta to me, but figured someone might be interested, and they don't seem to pop up all that frequently. 

Those extended headlight housings, tho...? To each their own. B)

*edit* Will we be seeing this one in the WDYGT topic in a few days??? 

WDYGT?

9 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

WDYGT?

What Did You Get Today thread. 

Casey I’ve got enough of these things that the Pierce nose, Jordan fenders, a number of other issues getting corrected. Stutz, Mercer, Bugatti need little to be presentable. Bug mostly needs trim refinement to look like 1:1. 

Edited by keyser

55 minutes ago, keyser said:

Casey I’ve got enough of these things that the Pierce nose, Jordan fenders, a number of other issues getting corrected. Stutz, Mercer, Bugatti need little to be presentable. Bug mostly needs trim refinement to look like 1:1. 

I'm curious...what would you correct on the Jordan fenders?

My issue with most of the Revivals are in their proportioning; they all look a little too long, high and narrow when compared to the beautiful Exner (or Exner-inspired) box art.  The skinny 30's-era looking wheels don't help either.

Having had the opportunity to add the whole series to my stash, I passed on the Duesenberg and the Packard because I couldn't get past their funky appearance.

I restored the Jordan awhile back; I just did a wheel swap, mounted as low as possible without extensive mods, added a little bling to the front end with BMF and flat black paint then called it done.   

z2.jpg

z3.jpg

z1b (8).JPG