Model Cars Magazine Forum

6 hours ago, pack rat said:

I'm curious...what would you correct on the Jordan fenders?

My issue with most of the Revivals are in their proportioning; they all look a little too long, high and narrow when compared to the beautiful Exner (or Exner-inspired) box art.  The skinny 30's-era looking wheels don't help either.

Having had the opportunity to add the whole series to my stash, I passed on the Duesenberg and the Packard because I couldn't get past their funky appearance.

I restored the Jordan awhile back; I just did a wheel swap, mounted as low as possible without extensive mods, added a little bling to the front end with BMF and flat black paint then called it done.   

z1b (8).JPG 

Nice build. I agree with your issues, modern wheels make huge difference. Good wires on Bugatti with fatter tires help for the replica, as does similar for the Mercer-Cobra. 

The Jordan in my eyes needs a chunk of front fender removed and probably angled a bit, likely at back edge of random side marker? that matches nothing else on the car. Bumperettes are ok, I have opened up the grille and hidden the headlights, which helps a lot. I shortened the front pan and made the sills tuck under less, made them body color so body side not so short. Similar with rear pan, but it's contours are PITA. Rear taillight is all the way across, ala late riviera. 

I also am fiddling with the C post, as it is really busy, and makes the roof have a hump that goes flat in front. Your dark paint helped, which was part of my plan, Closed up the rumble seat too. Lots of work, more to be done. If you look at original drawings on boxes, I'm trying to get them closer to that. 

Pierce is huge project. Fenders with headlights are weird, as is rear taillight area, andrear window is flipped from the one on the original 33 diecast. I have drawings, tons of parts acquired, Don't think I'll live long enough for that one. Going to have to rebuild back roof, front fenders with custom 65 Riv or similar HL, and add small clearance bump on rear fenders to cover top of tire using a builder for some if I can. I move it out a bit to dump the rollerskate look. I've got 3/4 of each, so using a builder for the big redos. 

Duesy is a personal fave, I have 1 owner I started to make SSJ out of in 70's. It, hard to believe, stalled. But the rear fender edge and pan will not defeat me, rechromed and shortened 34 Duesy grilles for it, doing dual side pipes with rear dump in pan. 

Stutz I dumped the goofy zit fog lights and rear TL, fiddled roof chrome a bit. Bugatti got football shaped TL like 1:1, and trying to come up with adequate DuVal windshield, similar to 1:1. 

Doing a stock set at some point. Want a Mercer on a trailer behind a Monogram 427 Cobra, 34 Duesy on trailer behind the Renwal. 

23 hours ago, keyser said:

The Jordan in my eyes needs a chunk of front fender removed and probably angled a bit, likely at back edge of random side marker? that matches nothing else on the car

There's just so much going on visually with these Revival cars, it's hard to form one cohesive image after looking each one over.

jordanplayboyrr.jpg.99e7af66d15db59f70102df46f40590b.jpg

Looking at the Jordan Playboy (?) above, what's going on with that quarter panel indentation? You've got this beautiful, elongated, bladed front fender (agree it's a bit too long, but...), then the eyes flow back along the upper edge to that kink in the rear quarter window opening, then they start to go back over the quarter panel and *eerrkk* (record needle stopping abruptly sound). What the heck is that shape doing there? It's like Exner had a pile full of wild design ideas he never got to use on a 1:1, so he decided to use at least on an each of the Revival cars. You kind of understand where he was going and what he was hoping to do, but the end result doesn't quite look all that cohesive and unified, at least to my eyes.

I get the elongated nose, hinting back to the days of V12 V-16 engines, like Wayne Kady did, but I guess I just feel it's hard to pull off:

Wayne-Kady-1964.jpg.3e9a83d48ec2e2f6aa61c96ea1476cab.jpg

06afc7c8bb09.jpg.7ed0ed0313dfd8e4ddc919388807880e.jpg

Maybe that was the point of these models, though, and Exner had carte blanche to head in whichever direction he wished?

Edited by Casey

That seems to be the problem with going retro.  It's a fun exercise, but a lot of what made those old cars look so good worked in the context of the time, and it doesn't always work in a different context.

Funny thing about the Jordan Playboy is that the original was pretty unspectacular, especially compared to the other cars in that series.  It was a pretty standard design, running a flathead 6 and assembled from parts from a variety of suppliers,  It's main clame to fame was the advertising.

Funny you should mention the divot. That's slated for filling with a small character line following the base of the trim on the door. The taillight and headlight zits going away too. I've stared at these things for hours, I love Exner (great drugs in early 60's I guess). Pierce is 66 equivalent to a Panamera. Bug, Stutz, and Mercer all cool just as is. I've got  regular chrome for updated Mercer, and copper for the oem Mercer Cobra, the copper industry paid for the build originally.

The other 4 need screwing with. The weird packard Landau that's sunken below roof needs build up, or chop front of roof, but cowl is a mess. rear deck involved too, so guess I gotta live with that, find workaround. Pierce easier compared to that. Duesy just needs rear fender and roll pan tweaks, door rework for dual cowl. Normal human cant contort to get out of the back of the Duesy or Pierce. And how did anyone get in the rumble seat of the Jordan?

66 Mustang kit has Cibie HL that are 1:1 correct for Bugatti. EZ fix. Geez I have a lot of work to do. 

Edited by keyser

Interesting....we all agree that the Jordan isn't quite right, yet we all see something different that needs improvement.

I have no issue with the overall proportioning, including the long front fenders, and I like the taillights as they are; they remind me of the early Riviera lights which had a delicate coach-built look (the 1:1 only...the AMT kit pieces were awful, but that's another topic).

Likewise I wasn't bothered by the indentation on the rear quarters. 

What still bugs me are the side window openings...some odd angles there and they're a tad shallow-looking.  I considered re-contouring them and removing some plastic from the bottom sills to lighten up the greenhouse but I didn't want to carve up this one too much.  I was also tempted to replace the grille/headlight assembly completely with a fine horizontal grille and nose reminiscent of the 66-67 Toronado.  I'm not fond of that huge, flat hood either as highlighted in my front 3/4 pic.

Good luck with that Pierce...I.ve looked at mine and see so many odd angles, shapes and contours that I wouldn't know where to start.    

• 3 weeks later...

Fun page I’d not seen before. 
There are more color flips, the Bugatti came with either white or blue body. I’ve never seen a Pierce flip, all are full maroon. I think I have a Jordan flip too, but I’ve never had them together. 
Never looked at boxes that hard. Have mib of all 7 plus set of flips. Now I have to check.