Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Dart Swinger

MPC Ramchargers 1970 Dart funnycar is stock from firewall rearward

That's the one I'm thinking of..I have a rough body of one in my stash. IIRC it has stock Dart emblems on the rear quarter and decklid.

I have a resin '70 from some years ago, can't recall the caster. I might get one of the Bandit Resin ones, I have an extra '68 Dart and a '71 Duster (need it for the engine, seats, steering wheel, etc). I have BR's Valiant Scamp that I plan to build w/ a 6 cyl.

Be a lot easier and cheaper to us the '69 dart you need as he donor anyway, and use the quarter panels to make the LA Dart look stock. It also solves the vent window issue. Have you priced out a Ramcharger '70 Dart kit ? Beyond stupid in pricing. So, buy the LA Dart, and a '69 Dart, $35-40 , you'll have all the parts you need, and still be ahead of the game. Or you could buy the resin piece ($40 plus ) AND still need the '69 Dart ($15-20 ) to complete it, still need to send the parts out to chrome and be left with fewer parts for the parts bin .. it's a no brainer really ..

Still has the wrong grille, though..the LA Dart is missing the turn signals, and it's missing the front bumper IIRC. For a chrome front bumper and grille I have the '71 Demon part from The Modelhaus.

Edited by Rob Hall

No, the LA Dart has the correct grille and turn signals .. it also has the correct "dodge" script on the hood ..

Hmm....so the LA Dart isn't the same body/etc as the Hemi Hunter...I have both, will have to compare them. The Hemi Hunter is missing the front bumper and the grille has no turn signals. IIRC, the Ramcharger has covers over the headlights.

Edited by Rob Hall

Thanks for the info guys. I thought that was one of the differences that helped tell them apart, the Scamp had TWO small rectangular lenses per side, and the Swingers had ONE large single lens per side. Randy, that Swinger is from Scale Coachworks, It should have the decals for the stripe and "Swinger" name on it. I have two of those and they both came with them. I got mine from Mike's Miniatures, he sets up at Detroit NNL's every show.

If you look at the picture, there is only a small decal set. No stripe. I got mine from Beaner's Hobbies in Wesleyville PA.

I perfer working with resin.

I have a couple of LA darts and would still have to buy the trunk lid and front grille and bumper along with a ton of work I do not have time for fixing the rear wheels.

Thanks for the suggetion but I chose a better path for me.

So to each his own.

A no brainer really.

• 8 years later...

Knocking-down some cobwebs here on this thread -- does anyone still make a resin 1970 Dart Swinger? 
I, too, purchased a copy of the c.2006 edition of the Hemi Hunter with the intention of making a close-enough '70 Swinger out of it... 
...only to realise that there's entirely too much work involved to make that body stock (AMT 1971 Duster 340 would provide the entire dash; Revell 1968-1969 Dart for the steering wheel and other parts).

Please provide a link and/or seller's name for any good resin 1970 Swinger.
Thanks.

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Knocking-down some cobwebs here on this thread -- does anyone still make a resin 1970 Dart Swinger? 
I, too, purchased a copy of the c.2006 edition of the Hemi Hunter with the intention of making a close-enough '70 Swinger out of it... 
...only to realise that there's entirely too much work involved to make that body stock (AMT 1971 Duster 340 would provide the entire dash; Revell 1968-1969 Dart for the steering wheel and other parts).

Please provide a link and/or seller's name for any good resin 1970 Swinger.
Thanks.

I just got one from Ebay ,but I'm thinking it was from Southen motorsports .

• Thanks 1

The one I have was cast by Scale Coachwork out of Milwaukee off Ebay several years ago. It took me a bit of time to get my hands on all the necessary donor kits (at a reasonable cost) to build this subject. Your post made me dig it out of my stash ...I think this will be the next one up at bat...once I finish the one that`s currently on the work bench....

IMG_0607.jpg

Edited by 69NovaYenko
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 8:57 AM, 1972coronet said:

Thanks for the photo and the lead, @Mr mopar and @69NovaYenko. Apparently, the 1970 Swinger is out-of-production. I recognise that more than one resin outfit made the 1970 Swinger; however, none to be found. I'll keep looking -- and, hopefully, I won't have to pay too much for it.

There is one on Ebay now.  Doesn't look like it will be cheap!   

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Mopar maniac 74 said:

1972coronet

Could you accomplish your build with the 71 scamp from bandits and I think harts has the bumper and light maybe

I've been playing around with the idea of bashing the MPC Hemi Hunter [et al.] clips with the Revell 1968 Dart GTS. 
Truthishly, I have the patience of a parrot who's been fed some Black Beauties and taught some colourful words (i.e., typical Celt here).

Thank you for the suggestion ne'er-the-less. That Bandit 1971 Scamp does look like a nice piece (1972 side marker lamps on the rear not-with-standing).
I've had me eyes on it for, what, ten years? I'm keen on a 383-powered Scamp, after-all.