Model Cars Magazine Forum

Junior Stock Plymouth

6bblbird

I have not been able to post anything here for a looong time. The drag racing season here in the North East is finally over and I finally found some time to try and finish up this car that I planned for the another boards' Junior Stock build. I think that I missed the deadline.
Going to finish it anyway as it will most likely become a Christmas gift.
The plan is to make the Monogram '70 Road Runner into a C/S, 440 6bbl Stock Eliminator car ala 1970-1971.

Wanted to paint the car B5 blue but could not find it in a can. I picked up some Testors Bahama Blue as it seemed close enough. I think it looks very close!

Headers, skinny slicks, a tach. and not much else.
photo90-vi.jpg
photo94-vi.jpg
engine-vi.jpg
photo95-vi.jpg
WF

Looking Good! Nice paint job on the body and sharp BMF work, too. This will be a fun build, there can't be enough Stockers.

The drag racing season here in the North East is finally over

Lucky you, our Drag Racing Finals were a bit over two months ago. Now needs to wait for the next one, and it starts in May. <_< We'll change the final gear ratio to 5:38 instead of that 5:13 that we had earlier. Hopefully it'd run a bit faster then...

I had a bear of a time trying to get the body and chassis to mate. There was at least 1/16" gap between the inner fenders and the chassis rails. Due to poor fitment, molding, warpage, or a combination of the three, I could not get the parts to glue together. I had to come up with a way to get this done or the car would just look stupid! No glue needed. I pinned the frame to the body! I drilled two .060" holes through the front of the chassis and right through the lower radiator and slid plastic rod through both holes! Perfect! No glue needed!
photo98-vi.jpg
The front bumper hides the pins almost perfectly.
WF

P.S. Did I mention that the kit decals were terrible? Well, they're terrible!

• 2 weeks later...

This one is done! I think that it may be my only completed build of 2013. The only thing left to do is paint and install the air cleaner. I'll post an engine photo as soon as I finish painting the air cleaner.

I used a marker "brush pen" to do the class and car number. It kinda looks like shoe polish. I was so afraid that I would slip and mes up the glass. One thing that I really wanted to do was to put Goodyear Front Runners on the Weld wheels but I could not find them. I found 3 sets today!

photo12-vi.jpg

photo11-vi.jpg

Edited by 6bblbird