Model Cars Magazine Forum

1983 Ford Exp Blue Max Funny Car

Trans Am Erik

This is the car that got me into drag racing. My Mom,Dad, and I saw Raymond Beadle race this car race on the 4th of July 1983 at Milan Dragway in Michigan. I was 5yrs old at the time. At one point Raymond did a burnout in the near lane and stopped in front of us. I held up a toy of the Blue Max and he gave me a thumbs up through the window. That car and how Raymond Beadle drove it was the coolest thing I had ever seen and now I'm going to build it!!!

Picture171.jpg

bmax2.jpg

11-15-2007-02.jpg

That's 2800hp doing about a 300ft burnout!!!! You gotta love it

:P it is gOIN TO BE A BAD CAR!!!!

tHE FRONT IS GOIN TO BE EASY, THE CHALLENGE YOU HAVE IS THE

REAR QUATER PANELS, BUT IT CAN BE DONE VERY CLOSE.

THANKS....FOR USING MY BLUE MAX FOR INSPIRATION.

DOING RESEARCH I FOUND THIS OMNI BLUE MAX.....CHECK IN THE NEXT LANE.

photo24.jpg

This was another FordEXP THAT WAS MAKING SOME NOISE

photo05-big.jpg

Can you see the roof of this tempo, I wonder if it can be use for the

EXP convertion. I notice the Omni is more slanted thet the ford.

Will see how you do it, You can do it!!!!

photo07-big.jpg

i got this EXP body along with a 56 crown victoria body, and a olds cutlass stage 2 as a set from ebay for 30 bucks. Not sure when i will do anything with them. I got a set of Blue Max decals from fred cady, but they appear to be for his mid 1980's mustang SVO body. I wish you the best on your venture, as i am sure it will be DY-NO-MITE!! Chris Coffey, Spokane, WA

• 4 weeks later...

whatzup erick. hows that built?

have not forgot about our trade, i have been working two jobs and i have been getting late.

and the model i have them in storage. will get them out today or tomorow, i got your address.

just wanted to bust your shops, look what i saw :lol:

this is a 1/32 scale, remember those kits, they had a few f/c styles.

can't wait to see what you do in 1/24.

Danny

MVC073F-vi.jpg

BM.jpg

MVC074F-vi.jpg

Bust my chops? More like wet my appitite, that 1:32 came out GREAT!!! I just got the body today and it's going to work out great! I started on the engine, painted it with aluminum metalizer and the trans with straight silver. That should give it the look of an aluminum block/heads/ bell housing and a cast iron trans. Now I need two engine wiring kits for the dual magneaatos.

Bust my chops? More like wet my appitite, that 1:32 came out GREAT!!! I just got the body today and it's going to work out great! I started on the engine, painted it with aluminum metalizer and the trans with straight silver. That should give it the look of an aluminum block/heads/ bell housing and a cast iron trans. Now I need two engine wiring kits for the dual magneaatos.

DID THEY USE THE DOUBLE MAGNETO IN 83? LET ME CHECK? BECAUSE MY 85 STANG CAME WITH ONE.

This is a pfoto of a funny car of that era, you can see that the double magneto was not

incorporated yet, I think that it started in the early 90's when everyone was looking to break the

300mph record, around the time of Eddie Hill,

Loved when funny cars had chrome valve covers and blowers.

JohnForce12070070334-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Lookin good so far! If that EXP body turns out to be surplus, I will negotiate with you. It would make a cool mini-stock!

If you mean the stock Exp body, I traded it for a pro stock '83 Mercury Capri pro stocker to make Roy Hill's car. I can see if I can locate another one I'll let you know.

• 10 months later...