Model Cars Magazine Forum

RJ Johnson's 2013 USAC Champion

I'm lucky enough to have been asked to build the sprint car driven by RJ Johnson, this year, to a Southwest USAC championship. As always it's 1/8 scale, scratch built. I met the owners at the last race, last weekend in Peoria AZ. I started drawing plans the Sunday after that last race. Built the frame and body in 1 weeks time. This is a Sherman chassis with a Roush/ Yates Ford 360 motor.

101_4948_zps556035da.jpg

101_4970_zpsb286c290.jpg

101_4977_zps56568c13.jpg

101_4982_zpsb2d597ba.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ray. I'm building three model cars from scratch presently. The vintage midget ( posted here as " Building an 1/8 scale model from a 1/4 scale model), this USAC sprint car and an Edmunds supermodified for the Open Wheel Museum in Phoenix. I would have never tried this a year ago but it's working. I spend one week working one car then the next on another car and so on. I don't get burnt out on one model so it keeps my interest up. Here's the Edmunds car as it sits today and the motor for the sprinter, which is a Ford Roush/ Yates. I bought original plans for the supermodified from Don Edmunds so that project is a blast. The plans are drawn in 1/8 scale which makes it much easier to build. I am trading some work to have Hoot's Rod and Custom paint all three cars which really helps me as I have not mastered painting at all, especially scallops.

101_5024_zps0d08b810.jpg

101_5028_zps127e4280.jpg

101_4993_zps92aa9170.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks John; on this sprinter the only aluminum I used was the firewall and belly pan; everything else is styrene sheet and tube. I only build these cars in 1/8th scale and I scratch build everything except I buy the spark plug boots and all the bolts. I draw plans for every car I build and I sell a generic set of 1/8 scale sprint car plans if you're interested. It's 11 pages on 12x18 sheets and shows how to build everything even the tires and wheels. E-mail me at kmeaders@q.com if you are ever interested.