Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes "Blue Wonder" Transporter: 1/28/14 "Outside" photos posted

Hello……..this is on my workbench…….my good friend Greg Wann: AKA "Master Caster"……..gave me a resin Mercedes "Blue Wonder" Transporter casting …….and a Revell Mercedes 300 SLR Race Car………I will add all the bells and whistles ……..thanks for looking

1954-Mercedes-Benz-Blue-Wonder-7muokattu

img_1231296_57054151_5_zps6a3148e5.jpeg

DSCF8599_zps541b3fc4.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

Alright, Here We Go Again!

I've been thinking for a while now if you've been working on something. But now I see that you are and I know it'll be top notch. Really looking forward to see this build. The 1:1 car must be one of the strangest looking cars I've ever seen. I don't know if I like it or not, but I know that your model will be fantastic. Can't wait to see it starting to come together.

http://smcbofphx.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rs&action=display&thread=1221

Wow John, I am very happy to see you are back at the bench. I know you will do great with this one. I'm thinking you are going to actually put an engine in this build. I have several other parts that still need to be cast but with your ability your parts might be much better. This post on the link above has over 2000 views. If you can put an engine in it it would be very cool cast in clear to show all the articulation. I really like how the wheels turned out. The engineering of the real vehicle was pure magic. The original transporter is long gone but when a team decided to create it again there was little original drawings and information to go by. The recreation is even better. I really like this subject but unfortunately I really have trouble staying focused on it. John is helping me develop this subject into a more accurate and presentable kit. Eventually I will have a cool kit to offer. The parts you see are available.

Edited by Greg Wann

http://smcbofphx.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rs&action=display&thread=1221

Wow John, I am very happy to see you are back at the bench. I know you will do great with this one. I'm thinking you are going to actually put an engine in this build. I have several other parts that still need to be cast but with your ability your parts might be much better. This post on the link above has over 2000 views. If you can put an engine in it it would be very cool cast in clear to show all the articulation. I really like how the wheels turned out. The engineering of the real vehicle was pure magic. The original transporter is long gone but when a team decided to create it again there was little original drawings and information to go by. The recreation is even better. I really like this subject but unfortunately I really have trouble staying focused on it. John is helping me develop this subject into a more accurate and presentable kit.eventually I will have a cool kit to offer. The parts you see are available.

Hi Greg…….yes, it doe`s feel good to be back at the bench…….your casting is Awesome……yes, I am going to put a engine in it……..I have quite a few reference pictures…….even a couple from a die cast model……..that shows the undercarriage……..hopefully I can somewhat make it believable ……..but,without to many reference pictures……I will have to do my best…….it won`t be perfect…….but,I think it will come out ok?……..thanks again for this wonderful casting :)

Hello……..thank you all so very much fro the kind comments :) ……..I opened up the doors and made a Hatch for the Engine…….I made a grill and modified the front bumper……..I removed the resin wheel hub caps from the wheel because,I will be painting the wheels blue and the hub caps Alclad……..I got the belly pan/chassis fit…….this is only a fast mock-up…….I will work on the interior tomorrow…….thanks for looking.

DSCF8622_zpsb7af4b75.jpg

DSCF8623_zps9d466526.jpg

DSCF8618_zpse034dbf7.jpg

DSCF8621_zps94f3a7d3.jpg

DSCF8617_zpsf131bbdb.jpg

DSCF8615_zps1354bae5.jpg

DSCF8616_zps200845e6.jpg

Im not getting out any pop corn (too many trans fats) but i am glad to see you at it again. I a begging that you please put the valve covers on correctly. Don't want anymore forum meltdowns again. :)

This subject matter is cool. I bet driving it took some getting used to with the front axel behind the driver.

Im not getting out any pop corn (too many trans fats) but i am glad to see you at it again. I a begging that you please put the valve covers on correctly. Don't want anymore forum meltdowns again. :)

This subject matter is cool. I bet driving it took some getting used to with the front axel behind the driver.

Gary……thanks!…... but, I`m 100% positive…….that I will do something wrong :( ……it`s in my nature……but,I will try not to :) ……….I am enjoying this build……..it is something different…….I always like a good challenge :D

I look forward to watching this project, I love the subject matter! With your skills, it will be awesome John!

I remember seeing an article years ago about this truck. Seems to me it was used by Mercedes as a fast way to transport race cars around Europe in the event of a breakdown at a race. There weren't any big trucks with spare cars on them then. The article inspired me to get in waaaaay over my head trying to create a similar vehicle from an American manufacturer. I cut about 3/4 inch out of the front fenders of a '57 Chevy wagon to shorten the nose. Didn't take me long to realize I did not have the skills needed and set it aside.

I will enjoy this one for sure!